Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 5-10-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 5-10-13 Sign In/Join 
posted
Sew & Tell is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you've finished, what you're working on - we'll cheer you on!

I made a few more oversized receiving blankets and burp cloths, and that was it. I haven't even watched most of what I DVR'd this week!

So who's sewing?

Posts: 2929 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I'm working on the memory quilt for my friend from her dad's shirts & p.j. bottoms. I've still got a lot of work to do on it before I can post a finished picture.

Nicki

Posts: 7910 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
Just finished this large Mondo Bag..i had enough scraps from the shadow flower quilt i made last year, to get 3 of these bags! Think i over bought a little!

I have a quilt to make, my daughter wants to give it to a bride to be, at a shower in june..better get going on it!

Posts: 11809 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LIKE that bag, Kim Smile

I put this quilt together for my Relay for Life walk. 18 days ago it was a drawing on a napkin over pancakes Smile

Every cancer ribbon is on this quilt Frown From the time I made the blocks and then printed out a list to recheck to make sure they were all on there, the cancer society had added 4 new blocks Frown

I will be putting the binding on this weekend, getting ready for a raffle. It was a lot of therapy for me, and helped me to keep my eyes off of my situation Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pretty my friend..Good job. Blessings

Posts: 11809 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kim- that is a very cute bag and I am sure it will hold a lot.
Save Sinnr- Love your design and the colors are beautiful . Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

Posts: 1484 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been working on my Crimson Rose quilt for the last several weeks and now have it pieced together. Will still need backing and batting. Sue

Posts: 1484 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lumpy Tush
posted Hide Post
Sister sue that is a lovely quilt.
That being said I wish I could sew. Just when I think I can get to finish the baby quilt something else happens. I twisted my foot and tore a ligament now I also have a cracked pelvic bone. That poor baby will be grown before I get her quilt done the way I am going LOL. Oh well all in a days fun NOT LOL.

Posts: 3094 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
I've been working on #1 of 7 Christmas quilts and finally finished all 3 sections just a few min. ago. The sections still need to be stitched together, and there will be a black border to "stop that movement". This is made from scraps of other quilts. The b/w HSTs are cut-aways of DD's 2010 Christmas quilt that had 6x12" flying geese. The colors are TOTs that I've collected over the years, but I did use them also in 2010 for youngest son's Chevron quilt.

Posts: 2485 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Beautiful quilts, everyone. I also love that nice big bag.

I finished the binding on the raffle quilt but I'm saving the picture for the Patriotic Show here on Memorial Day weekend.

Posts: 6470 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Lumpy, sending healing thoughts your way.
Judy TX that is a very striking quilt. It looks like a lot of work. You have 7 to make before Christmas??? Wishing you good luck.
All the other projects look great. Love that big Mondo bag.
I've been doing some sewing, maybe I'll have something finished to post tomorrow.

Posts: 7817 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Sister Sue, I love that pattern and the rose fabric is gorgeous!

Too much yard work to get any sewing done, but I did get two embroidery blocks done for a quilt for my GS. By the end of May, it will be too hot to work outside, so hopefully I'll get some sewing things done. Mammogram next week (don't forget, ladies!)

Lumpy, hope you heal fast...take it easy for a little while!

Kim, beautiful bag...love those colors.

Judy, very colorful quilt. You have been busy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Downsouth,

Devonne

Posts: 14931 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kim, love the bag.Those colors are my favorites for now, used to be blue.

I have been traveling with my husband since last Thursday, we are in Ca. now and spent the day in SF today, would really need a good reason to move there (I live in the country with my closest neighbor 1/4th mile away) and this was WAY too many people for me.

Wanda

Posts: 1726 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Simple Pleasures" is the fabric line. I love the colors too! It is a great beach or project bag (crochet Smile .

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Here is what I have been working on this week. I help my neighbor out once a week by watching his wife so he can go golfing. She is confused and needs someone to check on her often. I saw that she had this awful looking apron that is so stained and such an ugly color that I decided she needed something nice to keep her tidy at meals. I made this one from the one my grandma made me years ago. I love it and how it covers everything up. It has a criss/cross back. I even used my machine to make button holes and sew the buttons on. I made the pocket out of the binding material so she could see where it was.

Posts: 7817 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Patty, what a great neighbor you are! My father would get up before sunrise so he could quickly get some golf holes before Mom woke up. It kept him sane until he came home and found Mom had fallen and broke her hip. Laid on cold concrete for a couple of hours. Would of been wonderful if they'd had you Asa neighbor. You're making the world a better place.

Posts: 7008 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Great show again! Love the vibrant colors this week.

PattiJ - how sweet of you to not only give your neighbor some much needed time off, but also for making the pretty apron for his wife.

My announcement: DS got a job as security at a local electrical plant!!! I hemmed his uniform slacks so he can show up spiffy for work Monday. (Almost made them high-waders. I marked the hem with a sliver of soap, moved the ruler 1 1/2" and marked that line. ABOVE the hem line! I had the scissors in my hand and stopped. Son was watching and looked at me funny. I asked if he wanted high-waders...his eyes bulged a little bit. Remeasured and drew the cut line on the correct side of the hem line. WHEW!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
KYIS, Wow you sure took that saying of measure twice cut once to heart and aren't you glad you checked that before hand??? So happy that you didn't make that cutting error.

posted Hide Post
Almost not LOL!

I told DS that it would be horrible to have to ask his brand new employer how much it would cost to purchase a replacement pair of slacks because the - ahem - "woman" he took them to in order to be hemmed to fit cut them too short.

I told him that if it had happened and he told the truth - I'd cut him out of my will! Wink

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
When my son became an officer and had to have a quick uniform fix I almost did the same thing! Afterwards I pulled out some eyelet lace and pretended to put it on the hems. Frightened him almost as much as my first almost mistake. I MUCH prefer him to get alterations and insignia sewn on-base. They charge an arm and a leg but know exactly where it is sewn and have perfect threads and machines. In 39 years of being married to a policeman the only sewing I did on his uniform was fixing a seam and pockets that leaked coins.

Congrats on the job! I think we're happier when our kids get a good job than when we did!

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I finished a photo memory quilt for a friend at work. Her father died a year ago this weekend, so she wanted it for her Mom for Mother's Day. Her father was a farmer, so she asked for John Deere colors. The green is actual John Deere bandana print fabric that was in a tote bag kit that I found at WalMart. I bought 2 kits & they each had a yard & a half. The backing is a similar fabric in yellow.

She wanted simple, so I used a variation of the Warm Wishes pattern (my rail blocks are a little different)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AngelaC,

Posts: 4570 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful photo quilt. The simplicity is perfect for highlighting the photographs.

posted Hide Post
Patty, what a nice thing to do! how did she do with it?!
I hope her husband doesn't toss the old one..I dealt with the dementia with my grandma.

Too funny sherry! and Angela, that JD memory quilt is awesome! great layout! and a wonderful thing to do!
Great thread as usual!

posted Hide Post
I like the memory quilt too!

(I texted a BFF and asked her to come help with the pants. She quickly declined - as I knew she would. Her DH was in law enforcement now in security. She takes his slacks to the cleaners to be hemmed. LOL )

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Great group of items this week again.

Working on making 9 patches out of 5" squares. Also a bit on my crumb block quilt, but very little... Chris

Posts: 5854 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I have had no time for sewing since, I don't know when. I did finish the quilting on the t-shirt quilt (? last week?), but still need to bind it.

I have the rest of day to do as I please. Seriously, I don't feel like binding a large quilt. Instead, I'm going to play with my COF Challenge, or start on the QOV, haven't decided yet.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9611 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
A friend's granddaughter is expecting her first baby and wants her nursery in pink and brown bears. I lucked out that I had the squares from another project so I'm adding the top with appliqued bears. Need to get some eyelet lace to put on the edge between the pillow and quilt. It's fun to use up some scraps.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Cute bear quilt, I think i have a similar pattern someplace in the sewing room, but I'll never find it. Don't really know anyone having a baby right now.
My neighbor liked the apron I made his wife and she was happy to have something pretty. She liked the flowers, so I was glad. I had forgotten that the cofused get attached to things and don't adapt so easily. I'll remember that from now on, Kim. Thanks for the reminder.
Pat

Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
Judy Tx love your quilt.

Posts: 6772 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty j:
My neighbor liked the apron I made his wife and she was happy to have something pretty. She liked the flowers, so I was glad. I had forgotten that the cofused get attached to things and don't adapt so easily. I'll remember that from now on, Kim. Thanks for the reminder.
Pat

Patty, my DMIL had dementia and we would buy her new clothes to replace her old, stained ones but they would hang in her closet and she would refuse to wear them. She said they belonged to someone else. You are sweet to have made the apron. I like those crossover ones.

Everyone has such great projects this week. I haven't been able to get to my sewing machine this week yet. Hopefully tomorrow I will get to the Wish you were here mugrug and then on to the teddybear quilt I have been working on for six months. The baby is growing quickly.

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post