Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♥♥ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ AUGUST Block! ♥♥
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♥♥ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ AUGUST Block! ♥♥ Sign In/Join 
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
LOL, I can't wait til Jill sees it! Big Grin

Yes, Patty, it is a feathered star. It is 28.5 inches and I made it as the center for the Kansas City Star BOM that they publish in the newspaper. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it would be 'right' to use it now because the person who designed the BOM used this star from Marsha McCloskey without permission; so the KC Star has pulled the pattern and plans to publish a replacement.

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh No you don't! I am not making a block with a million pieces that tiny!! I'll join patty and choose one for myself!!
Oh, Yes! What will Jill have to say about this!!
It is pretty and you did so good with those teensy, tiny pieces!

Posts: 2239 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carolyn~ i Love feathered stars too! Some day I am making a quilt of all feathered stars. Wink

LOL Malou~ they weren't that tiny! I could do smaller if you'd like it better~?

This is the block in question~ one more time. Big Grin

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to give me a heart attack?
Jill make her stop!! LOL!! That is one block this girl is not doing! K?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
H0ly Crap!!! That's the stuff that nightmares are made of! LOL!!!

You did a beautiful job on yours. If you pick that block, I'll send you my fabrics and you can work your magic on it!!! Wink

Posts: 4798 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys are so easy .... LOL

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jill make her stop!! LOL!!

quote:
H0ly Crap!!! That's the stuff that nightmares are made of! LOL!!!

LOL Lindsay is so right!~ Big Grin

quote:
you guys are so easy .... LOL

But seriously~ wouldn't you love to make one really challenging block for your quilt? I could come up with one..... Smile

posted Hide Post
I did not start it this time!!! She did!! LOL!

If you don't watch it, I'm gonna tell your Mama on you!!! I know how to reach her! Wink LOL

I'm thinking that we've done a couple of challenging things already! Do I sound like a whiner?!!

posted Hide Post
I have a brand new sewing room after 6 weeks without a machine, so I got to sew July & August (and my alphabet BOM) last night!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen, pretty blocks and nice sewing room, I saw your pics in the other post. Nice to see you and your family are getting settled in your new home.

I finished the August block need to take and post the photo. Now to get back to the secret chain blocks, I am way behind on those!

Posts: 2674 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Jen your blocks are gorgeous.

Posts: 410 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I finished my chain blocks back on spring break in March... moving wasn't a plan for this year, just sort of happened since my dad was still unemployed and we can't handle the mortgage just on my income. Teaching jobs are scarce where we lived in CA before

Posts: 1645 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jen, your blocks are wonderful! Just love the colors!
So glad you're getting settled. I, too, saw your sewing room pictures on the other thread. It's hard to re-settle and it looks like you're doing very well at it!

And, Jill... NO, you do not sound like a whiner! We have had some difficult blocks, in my estimation!!

Posts: 2239 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jen- love your purple and teal and black. Great combination. Glad to hear you now can use your sewing room. Hope all goes well for you and your family in your new home. Sue

Posts: 1488 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I am a novice with traditional quilting, I have always loved feathered stars and would entertain the idea for next year's BOM...CBQ you up for it?

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Northern Nana
posted Hide Post
I am not happy with my half square triangles, they are wonky for some reason, probably will put them away for a while, not look at them, maybe start over, so probably won't make the deadline

Posts: 122 | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
What happened to all our block makers this month? Just a little over a week to go! Wave

August block finishers~

quilthappy69
Will Quilt For Chocolate
sister sue
Mountain Laurel
patty j
STinMT
Handie Ann
Malou
Meme Quilts
Chlynn1129
JLu
Quilter Jen

That makes 12~ Did I miss anyone?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOMchicks,

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gorgeous blocks are showing up for this month!! Love the purples, Quilter Jen!

Here is mine...kind of plain! I will have to work on some fun quilting for it...

Posts: 3407 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments.

My parents and I started on de-stickering the backyard, so too tired to sew at night. Still haven't started job hunting either.

Alexemmarose- I like your "Plain" block- as you said, a perfect place to highlight quilting!

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Alex, Your block is anything but plain!!! It is striking. Good Job.

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
RN55 Where is your BOM???

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2300 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doing mine right now!! Going to be on that done list 2 months in a row!!!!

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yipee!!! I got mine done! Two months in a row!! Isn't that worth a prize???
Don't know why this doesn't show up with true colors. This quilt is a beautiful purple batik, fushia and and a light pink!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shauna's crafty quilter,

posted Hide Post
Nice job Shauna! You are on a roll!

You too Alexemmarose! The red and blue play so nicely together!

posted Hide Post
Alex, I love your block with the RWB... and that snowflake blue is so pretty!

Shauna, good for you! Love those colors... so rich looking!
And... if I was in charge I'd send you a prize!!!
LOL!!

posted Hide Post
Alex and Shauna- great to see two more beautiful blocks done for Aug. There is still time to get this block done. Sue

Posts: 1488 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountainLaurel:
RN55 Where is your BOM???

Mountainlaurel, I have been so into the string blocks and collecting and ironing fabric I totally forgot. I am going to make tomorrow (Sunday) cannot believe I forgot.

Posts: 410 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
We still have a week left, right?
Been running up to the rehab center to see my Mom each day and then head straight to work, haven't had much time to work on this.
I am determined to get it done, but might actually miss a month, we'll see.
Oh! Everyone's blocks are looking great this month. I'm really liking those purple and black blocks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PatriciaAnne,

Posts: 483 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Yep, I think 5 more days.
Nice block Shauna, like the color combo
Patricia Anne, looks like your life is really busy lately. Be careful with all the driving. thinking of you and your Mom.

Posts: 7836 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
Finally took a photo of my Aug. block. I am struggling with the surprise block, not very good at doing the same block multiple times. I just need to get the pieces cut and sew!

Posts: 2674 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CQwannabe, I love the orange and yellow combination- great job. I know you can put together your chain blocks. Just take them one day at a time. Sue

posted Hide Post
Just 2 days left to complete the block. It is not hard and goes together pretty quick. So who is ready to show their block.?? Sue

posted Hide Post
15 finishers so far. Smile

tick tock, tick tock.... Big Grin

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Got it done! Didn't think I would, but here is my Peridot for August

Posts: 483 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patricia- beautiful block, colors look great together. Ready for Sept. block. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
PatriciaAnne, what a beautiful block. Love it.You got it done in the nick of time.
CQWannanbe, That sure is a bright block, love it.
Now what do you suppose the fearless Leaders have up their sleeves for Sept.???? Tomorrow will be the big reveal.

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
PatriciaAnne, LOVE your Peridot block, beautiful.

posted Hide Post
Nice blocks! But I'm kinda shaking in my boots/sandals wondering what is next! Keeping my fingers crossed for another easy one! Hint hint!!!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I made it, this looks blue but it purple and lavender

posted Hide Post
Way to squeak in under the wire RN! Smile Beautiful block too!

quote:
Nice blocks! But I'm kinda shaking in my boots/sandals wondering what is next! Keeping my fingers crossed for another easy one! Hint hint!!!
mu-ah-ah-ah! I guess time will tell you! Big Grin

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Thanks, good thing this was an easy block never would have been able to do a feathered star done in 45 minutes!

posted Hide Post
How many are staying up until midnight to see the new block? (LOL)

Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
August block finishers~

quilthappy69
Will Quilt For Chocolate
sister sue
Mountain Laurel
patty j
STinMT
Handie Ann
Malou
Meme Quilts
Chlynn1129
JLu
Quilter Jen
alexemmarose
Shauna's Crafty Quilter
CQwannabe
PatriciaAnne
RN55

Way to 'sew' ladies! 17 finishers for August!! Smile

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Wow, RN, nice looking block, glad to see you got it finished.