Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♥♥ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ AUGUST Block! ♥♥
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♥♥ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ AUGUST Block! ♥♥ Sign In/Join 
Picture of BOMchicks
posted
Welcome to August ... the dog days are near ... but then FALL Smile
Sorry ... got excited about the weather cooling down ... ok, back on track ....

WELCOME TO THE 2013 HGTV FORUM BLOCK OF THE MONTH! Wave

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

The theme this year is Secrets Shhh
SavedSinnr (Chicky) and I (the crazy one) Wink are 'egg'-cited and thrilled to be working with you on the BOM this year! Smile

Star Star Star Star Star Star

A Bit of Background......

*ALL board members are welcome to join us! There is no commitment or sign-up. Just join in the fun by posting on this thread. Smile

*You are not swapping, exchanging or anything else, just make the block we post on the first of each month; show us a photo of your work, and be entered into a drawing for a wonderful prize. Smile

* Each month, we will be doing a block from Quilter's Cache.

* In the intro post, found here intro post
we explained the extra blocks needed to make a larger quilt. These blocks are totally optional and secret! We will remind you each month to make your secret block. Smile

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

Credit: Marcia Hohn has graciously said we can use blocks from The Quilter's Cache again this year. Please read her Terms and Conditions at: http://www.quilterscache.com/. And follow the below guideline. "Should photographs of items made from Original designs be posted on your group website, they should also be clearly marked with the name of the pattern As I have it named, and that it is from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn." (Since you'll post your pictures in this thread, you will be covered by that statement.)

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

This year we will again challenge you to stretch your skills, ideas and creativity, while sewing and even trying new block patterns as well as methods. We are here to help! Use this thread to post your questions, problems anything related to the BOM~ and we will try to answer them for you. Smile

Step One~
Now ... without further clucking ... HERE'S the AUGUST BLOCK ~~

MOSAIC 2

Additional Notes~

COME ALONG AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!
AND DON'T FORGET TO POST THOSE PICS WE LOVE PICS!
Cool

If you have trouble posting pictures, or have a challenge with resizing them to post, you can SEND THEM TO ONE OF US VIA EMAIL, and we will BE HAPPY to resize them and post for you !!!

**Remember to make a secret block for your chain this month too. Wink

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

August Finishers!

quilthappy69
Will Quilt For Chocolate
sister sue
Mountain Laurel
patty j
STinMT
Handie Ann
Malou
Meme quilts
Chlynn1129
JLu
Quilter Jen

That makes 12~ Did I miss anyone?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOMchicks,

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Really like this one!

Posts: 525 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
And here's mine~ Smile

Posts: 10511 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Neat block. Like the ones shown.

Posts: 8094 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2714 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like both of the blocks shown! Love both of the color choices!
I like this block too! Thank you!!!!
I was wondering (worried!) what was next and you were kind to us for this busy month of August!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
thanks for this "hard" block. LOL Sue and I are trying to print the instructions now. Then I could make mine and beat her this month.LOL (she is at my house with No fabric) Laughing.

Posts: 8096 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Breathing a sigh of relief over here!!! LOL!

I like that block! Makes me want to really get going on it.

Patty - you and Sue crack me up! How did she come to your house with no fabric?!! I hope she's not sick! LOL!

Posts: 5008 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jill, I am fine but without my Stonehenge fabric here. Gordy (Pat's husband) and I were working on plane seats for our trip in Jan. 2014. Hope to sit next to or close to each other for our fights. I also like the block and will work on it later today. Sue

Posts: 1578 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOMchicks
posted Hide Post
muah-ah-ah -ah Enjoy your easy month! Big Grin

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
That is so mean, but so funny!

Posts: 435 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
Uh oh! Does this mean next month is going to be a pain? Not going to think about it yet and just enjoy this easy block!! Thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we get a hard block in September, at least it won't be MY fault! LOL!

Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
another easy one.I was sure we would get a hard one this time.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 66 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got mine out of the way today too!

Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
Hey BOM chicks .... sounds like the quilters are complaining that this block was too easy ... specially that Chocolate lover .... hmmmm ... maybe this should be rethought next month Eek

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Nice blocks! I hope to get to it next week. Have grandkids all this week with us.

Posts: 2042 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't you be rethinking anything SS!!
We love-love this block and appreciate whichever one of you picked it our for our August challenge.
And... HSTs DO challenge some of us! Getting those points right and not chopped off is hard!

quilthappy and WQFC... love both of your blocks and your color choices. (you both WERE a little bit speedy on this one!! LOL!)

Posts: 2309 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! Two blocks done already. Quilthappy and WCFC, you are so fast and your blocks look great. I will be working on mine, now that I arrived home from Patty's house. Sue

Posts: 1578 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my block done. Used my Stonehenge fabric, which I love. Turned out without an issue. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Really nice blocks ladies. Sue did beat me, but that was because I have to do boring things like let the dog out and cook supper. I'll get around to it. I'm looking for some pretty dark blue fabric.

Posts: 8096 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Very pretty block

Posts: 435 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
My goodness girls! Y'all are so speedy! ahem, ummmm this might be a really good month to get those surprise blocks made. Wink I'm just sayin'! Big Grin LOL

And now~ ♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♫♫♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♫♫♪♫♫♪♪♪♪♫♫♫♫

Can you hear the drums rolling???

The winner for July is..........

...................are you ready????.............

...................are you sure?................

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Handie Ann!!!!
Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

Congratulations!! Smile Could you please PM your address to SavedSinnr? Smile

Posts: 10511 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Congrats HandieAnn! I love seeing your interpretations of the blocks each month. You always manage to make them look like two different blocks. And your color choices are beautiful!

Posts: 525 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
YAY! CONGRATS Handie! Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Handie Ann for being selected for the month of July. Sue

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Congrats to HandieAnn!!

Here is my August block. I got it done asap!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2315 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Handie, the big winner.
Ok, I have to get some kind of sewing done, my machine is missing me. Going to look for some blue for this block. Getting off the computer now. See ya all later. Smile
Forgot to say I'm liking your block Mtn.laurel

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty j,

posted Hide Post
Congratulations Handie! If I EVER finish painting my sewing hutch, I might be able to catch up on July and now August blocks.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carolyn, your two color block is bright and cheery. Love it. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I just finished my block. Good thing 'cause Sue came over and that was the first thing she asked me. What a taskmaster she is!!!LOL
Took her and DH over to the Relay for Life at the college. So many cars and so much traffic. Good thing they didn't have to find parking.

August BOM

posted Hide Post
Wow! So many pretty blocks already! This was a fun one to do!

posted Hide Post
Wow! Speedy girls! And lovely blocks!!

Posts: 3477 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Handie! Nice that you were the winner for last month!

Sue, Mountain Laurel, Patty... love your blocks! All the color choices are so pretty.
I always love seeing where each one places what color.
It does look like a fun block to do, WQFC!
I'll know this weekend... I hope to get mine started and done!

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Wow I won, I have this months block printed out and I will get to them if not this weekend than I will do them next week. This week was spent finishing up one of the BOM's from years past and working on a quilt top for my DGD. Also getting new flooring and cupboards and counter tops for my kitchen. Thanks to our dog I'm getting my kitchen redone. I will show a picture of the quilt as soon as I get it taken.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3544 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
I got ALL my chain blocks done while vacationing in Massachusetts, yippee!

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Congrats to handi. Mtn laurel beautiful block.

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
Holey moley what kind of dog do you have?

posted Hide Post
OMG!!! Look at that door knob! It looked completely chewed! I'm with RN...what kind of dog did that?!!

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
She is not normaly a distructive dog but this happened on the 4th of July when we were not home and the neighbors all around us were setting off fireworks and she got scared. Next year we will have to take her to the Vet and get her something to keep her calm for a few days. We have to also tie the gate to our yard shut because she will go out and the first thing she will do is hit the latch with her nose and open the gate. She will not go outside by herself at night. (We have to drag her out at night and she will beat us to the door to get in.) She is a very friendly dog with people. Oh yes she is a pit bull.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3544 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holey Moley is right!! But she's a smart dog! See knew the door would get her out but just didn't know how to open that knob!! Fireworks are so hard on a dogs nerves! I bet she was just crying. Poor baby! I had two black labs. Fireworks didn't bother them but thunder did! You never saw such two bigger babies then those two when we would get a storm! All of a sudden they thought they were lap dogs!!
Nice blocks so far. Going to try and get mine done this weekend!
Congrats Handie! I never win. Of course it would help if I got on the done list more then just twice!! LOL!!

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Shauna, your turn will come. Just finish your blocks on time.
Handi, That is one mighty strong dog. We had destruction from one of our dogs, but nothing like that!!! At least you get new cupboards and flooring, probably a door too. Let's see the after pictures.

posted Hide Post
Ah Patty I miss you! I can still see you watching me at the Branson retreat making sure I stayed out or trouble! LOL!! Turned out to be a full time job didn't it!?

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
At least I only had to watch you a few days. I don't know that I'd want that as a full time job, On the other hand it would be very very interesting. LOL

posted Hide Post
You wouldn't be bored!! LOL!!

posted Hide Post
August block is finished.

Posts: 537 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice STinMT! Love your colors!

Handie Ann - what a sweetie! Feel bad for her, I have a beagle who is afraid of fireworks too. Love the picture, looks like she is sticking her tongue out at you!

posted Hide Post
STinMT, nice block!

pattern printed and fabbies picked out...

Posts: 3477 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Pretty blocks ladies!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2315 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
StinMt, what a nice colorful block. Beautiful.