Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twister ?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of wildcatmom
posted
Can anyone tell me,-- didn't someone make up a chart with all the square, template, & border sizes for the 'lil twister projects? Or was I dreaming? I've searched and have come up with a few discussion threads, but not what I'm looking for.
If I'm not dreaming, I'd so appreciate any links you might have. It may be when we were finding ways of DIY templates/rulers, and thought that Kim~Strut or quiltbea were involved. Confused
Thanks for all help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

twister

Posts: 3150 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandy O !
posted Hide Post
here ya go! Well no ya don't! I just tried to attach the file here and my computer will not do it. Hopefully someone has saved the file and will come along soon and help you. I have had problems with my computer and apparently some info was lost. Sorry..

Posts: 1259 | Location: wyandotte, mi. usa | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy...you can only send it to her Email unless you have it in JPEG format large enough to read,otherwise you can copy and paste it in a message here. Is that possible?

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9922 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandy O !
posted Hide Post
May I cant open the file on my computer.

Posts: 1259 | Location: wyandotte, mi. usa | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh...KC1930 has a Twister album somewhere,I think it was in webshots...maybe she will stop by and post it. She was keeping track of all the twisters we made.

Wildcat I believe the smallest twister was a 2.50 inch template with the markings 3/4 inch from each corner because that is what I did with mine.

On The Quilting Board.com they have all kinds of Twister tutorials with diagrams.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9922 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Hi Karen - I saved this info posted by quiltbea:

The formula for Twister blocks
The block fabric has to be 1 1/2" inches larger than the squares you are cutting.
Examples:
If you are cutting 2 1/2" squares, start with 4" sqs. of fabric.
If you are cutting 3 1/2" squares, start with 5" sqs of fabric.
If you are cutting 4 1/2" squares, start with 6" sqs of fabric.
If you are cutting 5 1/2" squares, start with 7" sqs. of fabric.
If cutting 6 1/2" squares, start with 8" sqs of fabric.
If cutting 8 1/2" squares, start with 10" sqs of fabric.

The border has to be at minimum, half the width of the square-up ruler plus an inch.
Examples:
If you are cutting 2 1/2" squares, borders should be 2 1/2" wide, min.
If you are cutting 3 1/2" squares, borders should be 3" wide, min.
If you are cutting 4 1/2" squares, borders should be 3 1/2" wide, min.
If you are cutting 5 1/2" squares, borders should be 4" wide, min.
If you are cutting 6 1/2" squares, borders should be 4 1/2" wide, min.
If you are cutting 8 1/2" squares, borders should be 5 1/2" wide min.
If you worry about cutting beyond the ruler, make the borders a little wider.

Distances from the points:
Formula: 1/4th the width of the finished square.
Examples:
2 1/2" squares = 1/2" left of the points
3 1/2" squares = 3/4" left of the points
4 1/2" squares = 1" left of the points
5 1/2" squares - 1 1/4" left of points
6 1/2" squares = 1/1/2" left of the points
8 1/2" squares = 2" left of the points

I hope this helps some of you have fun with the Twister blocks.
I've already got my layout for the class Friday nite, 4 across and 2 down plus the border. I'll be making a mug rug for the class.

I also have a layout for a doll quilt made with a 4 1/2" square-up ruler, 6" squares of fabric, and 3 1/2" borders. I've laid it out 6 across and 5 down. Its a guess-timate of what I might need for a doll quilt. I'll be posting the results when they happen.
HAPPY QUILTING!
Posted by quiltbea at 1:11 PM 1 comments

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Twister Ruler Markings:

TWISTER

On the 3.5 inch TWRuler the mark is at 3/4 inch. Use 5 Inch blocks & 3.5" borders.

On the 8 inch TWRuler the mark is 2.00 inches. You start with a 10 inch square and 6.5 inch borders.

A 6 row by 6 row will finish at about 61 x 61...you can then add more borders if you want.

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
SandyO, my 'puter's having problems opening some of my documents the way I used to. I guess I didn't even save the original information. Sending you a pm.

May, all KC's albums on webshots are either gone, or moved. Webshots shutdown their free photo sharing. Did we also lose quiltbea's tutorials? Can't remember if they were on webshots.

wannaquilt2, this is what I was looking for. I have the rulers I made up at the time, but needed help with the cutting sizes and projected outcomes.

Big Grin Thanks,all! You rock!!! Big Grin

~karen Wave

Posts: 3150 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
Glad you got the info! Quiltbea had it on her blog too. What ya makin' girlfriend?!

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm cooking up a plan to make a king size quilt w/blocks of 4 twisters that are 12.5" including the framing border...Big Grin
Not ready to start yet, but I'm working toward that.Smile

~karen Wave