Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Our January 2014 UFO is........and the winner is...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our January 2014 UFO is........and the winner is... Sign In/Join 
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Love this post!!! QW the jacket turned out really great,I have never done the hooded SS you will have to tell me about those neat seams I see,did you use the SS zipper?? I have cuffs and waist bands too if you figure out a good use for them SmileLove the work everyone has shown,what talent!!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8955 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Jacky, maybe you can use those leftover cuffs and waistbands on other shirts. Some of my shirts need to be reworked on the neck because they are too low in back (and then cold) or to close in front and choke me. A waistband ribbing would be enough to do that.

Or use the cuff ribbing on the top of patch pockets to help gather it a bit and hold the keys, gloves or stuff in the pocket as you sit or toss the jacket on a bed.

Or just get yardage of sweatshirt fabric and make one to fit with coordinating ribbing.

The neat seams are mostly an open seam of the jacket and a length of binding sewn down over the seam so you get the look of topstitching on the outside of the jacket. That was the way I did all the seams that I could work with the jacket flat.

The side and sleeve seams wouldn't do that all the way, so instead when I sewed the seam together I had the binding lined up with the seam allowance and sewed it on with the seam. Then wrapped it around the finished seam and stitched it down so everything is enclosed.

Hopefully, now I won't take the jacket off someplace and have threads attached to my clothing proving that I am a quilter and made my jacket!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quilting wifey,

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Way to go DJ!!! What an awesome feeling!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Headie - glad to hear you found a way to work on your project. I waste many hours away on this computer. I love to look at quilt blogs!!! Stick with it, get it done and then give yourself a little break before we start on February!

Posts: 5014 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Done, lighting is bad but until the weekend this is the best I can do. Now off to another UFO. It feels sooooo god to get things off that pile of tops.

Posts: 987 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow DJ!!! That's great! It's beautiful! There are some really neat rows in your quilt! Congratulations!

It really does feel good to get one done!!!

posted Hide Post
DJ, I really like that center row on your quilt. It looks great.

I have decided that I really don't like the directions for blocks on Quilter's Cache. My mind works differently and mine always need messing around to get them right. Thanks for letting me rant, back to working on finishing some more.

The quilt still looks great, though.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QW - I feel the same way!!! I construct my blocks differently and have a difficult time using her directions. It's great that she's so generous with her patterns though!

posted Hide Post
Yes, she is very generous, but when she misses stating that another size cut of fabric is needed until later in the direction it says to put the two 4.5 squares together, you start to wonder where you were getting those pieces. Another spot on this block it says something is to measure 3.5 after sewing, but mine were coming at 5". "Does not compute" in my mind. They should be interesting when I get them done!

Madelyn

Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
Great finish, DJBrown! That's a neat row quilt.

Posts: 3613 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
WHY cant I do math?? I keep having to go back and make more blocks. It's simple (or should be) math. 14 blocks across 2 ends 32 across the other 2 ends... Oh well, at least I haven't made too many.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5115 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actual got the borders on mine yesterday... and started hand quilting it last night. Will bring it to the doctors' office today while I wait for my mom and hopefully get more done. Got about 1/4 of the 4 patches done last night, but then there are a lot of bricks! (Doing Bonnie Hunter/s bricks and stones UFO)

Posts: 1958 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WCFC- you are doing an excellent job at giving encouragement to all and projects are getting completed. All of you have done a beautiful job on your UFO. Congrat's to all and keep up the good work. I love them all. Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

Posts: 1584 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Lori...but you made me laugh!! Why is it that scraps multiply but blocks do not?!!

Jen - you are making progress in spite of all you have been up against. I hope the appts for your mother go well! Nice that you can stitch while you wait.

Sister Sue - thanks for your kind words. I appreciate your faith in me! There's a lot of encouragement on this thread!

Speaking of encouragement...how is everybody else doing on their UFO's?

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
RN55...maybe the aliens have come to my house too. I had to madly clean last week for an unexpected guest and I put my quilt in an important place (you know what that means...) Sunday I just had to sew, so I put together 108 blocks that were blue batiks (pre-cut charm squares) and had a glorious time sewing them all together. I finished it! So that at least got me warmed up to quilt the one I'm supposed to once I find it!!!!!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8830 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
How is everyone else doing? I'm stalled. First, the Juki on my frame downstairs is acting up. Have tried for a week to get it to work correctly, but it isn't having anything to do with me. Second, fell down the stairs and sprained my right wrist (and I'm right handed). Third, have lost at least one day out of the past three with doctor appointments. I'm checking around now for a long-armer to do the big twin size finish. Good thing I have the crib size and doll size quilts from these blocks done. Do I get credit for half-sies?

Posts: 5786 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh McP - if it weren't for bad luck...

You have really been through it!! I've heard that sprains can hurt more than a break! I hope your wrist heals quickly. Have they told you how long it will take before you can use it again?

posted Hide Post
I was just looking through that Quilting Blogs site tonight. I recognized Seeing Stars finished quilts! I thought that was so cool!!!

Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Round of applause to those of you who have met the challenge & have already finished their UFO & 3 cheers for those of you who are still working on getting yours done. Still days left in the month yet, so keep on a sewing. I am really enjoying reading this thread & seeing the pictures of your work. Beautiful quilts & great job on the SS jacket Qw.

Posts: 5314 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
I am picking up my machine today, so maybe I can get some quilting done on my UFO this weekend. It will help keep me warm to quilt while the temps are so cold. I can't wait for spring. This cold snap is cutting into my spending money for fabric. I do not want to see the heating bills!

Nice job everyone completing your projects!!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2315 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post

One more week! Come on, you can do it!
Finish those UFOS!
Finish those UFOS!!
You CAN do it!!!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9558 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness I found mine again after 4 days of looking for that "important place so I wouldn't lose it" during my cleaning binge for my guest. last night I thought, well where would it be if I were in left brain (logical)...since I'm 90% RB I looked in all the piles,etc. When I thought about how I felt when I found out my friend was coming, I remembered! In my organized box of projects this year to immediately work on. Right under my nose!!! All tidy with all the parts in it!!! Sigh...I do wish both parts of my brain would have a truce and help each other out.

Posts: 8830 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Nancyc20 - if you can figure out how to get your brain to work together, let me know. I could really use that information!!!

I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have managed to get the binding attached by machine and pinned down for the hand sewing. I have to finish a project for my brother tonight but hopefully I will get some time this weekend to finish this UFO.

Posts: 2886 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
Great completed projects. I'm ready to add the binding, and continue. Yeah.

Posts: 752 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
It's on the frame and about 40% quilted. Should be able to finish that part this weekend and get the binding machine stitched. Then I can hand-stitch the binding. It's supposed to be really, really cold (at least in Houston terms) all next week, so cuddling under a quilt while stitching is a great idea.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6650 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's exciting to see more people coming on and updating us on their projects!

Carolyn - I hope your machine is 'good to go' and you can jump right back in! I know what you mean about this being a good time to work with quilts! I enjoy having one on my lap doing the binding this time of the year!

Nancy - I just had to do a quick tidy of my room last week! And, like you, it did become difficult to find things again! Maybe both sides of the brain would cooperate if you gave it more chocolate?!! Can't hurt to try!

Headie - Yay!!! You are just about there! I know you are going to make it!!!

gemsq - being in IL, you will appreciate a quilt to bind on your lap too!!! Go Girl!

My parents are here for a week. We knew they were coming, but weren't sure when! Kinda glad I got my quilt done when I did!!! I'm also committed to work on a different UFO that I can take all year to work on. I need to show a little progress on it by the first Thursday of feb! Think that will be worked on a little bit this weekend!

posted Hide Post
Here's a list of the January finishers...so far! There's still a week to go!!! I know we can add more names!!!

Rainbow
Wiley
Malou
Cookie Quilts
Gardenpat
Quilting Wifey
PatriciaAnne
Will Quilt for Chocolate
SeeingStars
DJBrown
Headielamar
Gemsq
mcpatches
irish62
Sew Happy
Quiltslots
WarmBuns
Nancyc20
3grandkids
Needlecrazy

I know many of you are getting close! I know you can do it!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
The front is done and I just finished the back. Will find batting tonight and cut that. don't know if I'll get it pin basted or not yet.

"Nancyc20 - if you can figure out how to get your brain to work together, let me know. I could really use that information!!!"

Headie: I think chocolate is the connector, as WQFC suggested. a diet c o ke helped too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I had some issues with my Handiquilter but I think I resolved them last night so today it is full speed ahead with quilting friends quilt so I can get to mine. I haven't given up yet, I still may get it quilted but I'm glad to at least have the top together.

Great job everyone that has met their goal already! For the rest of us there's still hope

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1764 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I hope my name will be on this list of finishers. I've got my two quilts out that I hope to finish tomorrow. It is MY day...well, my 2 year old GS will get a few hours as his Dad has him this weekend, lol! Smile DH comes in the room and asks "do you want to go to Orlando to get away next week?" I said "only if I can finish these two quilts tomorrow."

Here's my list of what I want to finish. I'm not worried about winning any prizes, I just need the motivation!

1. GS’s Quilt – end of January
2. GD’s Quilt – end of January
3. Lacey's Quilt (Niece)
4. Purple Hydrangea Quilt
5. Son’s Blue & Chocolate Quilt
6. One Block Wonder - this one is from 2007! I wasn't crazy about it, so it ended up in the closet for all these years. Smile

The blue and chocolate quilt is a king size. May not get this one finished in a month.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Downsouth,

Devonne

Posts: 14987 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post

I've got my DGD working on her UFO!!! Last summer she wanted to make a lap quilt for me. She picked out all her pre-cut 4 1/2" squares. Designed a rainbow pattern and pieced each row. Then she stopped! Hasn't touched it since. She's working on it now and just about has all the rows put together.

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9558 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
I will be using every day available to me.
Started the machine quilting today (hate this part)
I am going to get this finished by Friday if it kills me!
Liking so far.
Wish I had better skills.
Or a longarm!

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things have been a little bit busy in my life. But, I just wanted to stop in and let Downsouth know that I did see her list! I'll get things updated. I hope you do get that UFO done!

Sew Happy!!! remember your name...you will sew and be happy!!! I love the quilting part of this process. It's my favorite part. It's amazing I get anything to that point since I hate to cut fabric. I find it tedious and boring!!!

Go Nancy Go!!! Hope you found that batting! You are getting close!!!

Rainbow - I love that you've got your DGD working on her own UFO!!! You've got to train her right! LOL!

irish - use every day and just know that even if you don't make it...you will be so close! Closer than you would have been!!! You can do it!!!

Keep going everybody!!! I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Found the batting. Cutting tonight.

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Woohoo Nancy, you can do it!

Posts: 987 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!",said the Little Engine That Could. 59 years ago my mom read me that story and I can still see the pictures in my mind!!!

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I have gotten side tracked on some snowmen quilts.

I plan on seeing what I can get done before the first. I have one more week. I probably will be walking the Shame lane!~!!!!!!

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Morning!!! Some are so close, others aren't as close as they would like to be!!!

warm buns - I've been in your shoes. Life does 'get in the way'! LOL! That's how we get UFO's in the first place! There's always next month!!!

Nancy - I know you can, I know you can, I know you can!!!

posted Hide Post
warm buns you made me laugh! Shame Lane!! Love that!!
Keep on sewing! We're cheering for you and everyone finishing up!!
You can do it wb, nancy, irish, SewHappy!!!

DJ, love your quilt! Those fall colors are my favorites! Great job!!

Hoping we have a whole bunch more added to the done list!!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Linda, I will walk with you! I will have my top done but I really don't think I'll have it quilted.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 5115 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see pictures of the progress that you guys have made...done goes on the list, but progress is awesome too!!!

I already know that I'll be doing a walk of shame one of these months. I'll tell that story when we get to that number!!!

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
Well my meandering quilting is very meander-y, but it's done!!
WQFC, it would NOT have been done if not for your challenge.
Feels good.
Binding....

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
Irish-Pictures please.

DJ- love the colors of your quilt, so warm and cozy looking.

WQFC-Beautiful!

Malou and SeeingStars-3 baby quilts each. They are 6 lucky babies! I really like the yellow and blue one.

quilting wifey-Nice jacket. My favorite colors.

Cookie Quilts-Lovely, great job.

Rainbow- What a fun looking quilt!

Wiley- Really like that pattern and colors.

Those of you still working this best of luck and look forward to seeing more pictures this week. Even if you don't finish this week don't put it back down until you do finish!

Posts: 529 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Wahoo!!! Mine is loaded and 2 rows quilted. I finished my friends today and started right in on mine. Because of the VERY cold windchills predicted my work is closed tomorrow for our consumers, they take the bus, but it's up to staff to decide if we go in. I'm thinking I shouldn't go and then I would have plenty of time to get this UFO completed!!!!! Wink

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1764 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Cats and batting don't go well together... :eeks:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
neither do dogs and batting. If I leave it hanging down from the rollers Sadie loves to get underneath and sleep in it. Only, she doesn't just lay still - she gets bored (or paranoid) and attacks the batting.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I finished!!! I need to defur it but otherwise it is done. I will try to get a picture posted tonight.

Posts: 2886 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our sewing 'assistants' sometimes have a different idea about what is helpful and what is not!!!

One of my beagles has discovered that he can jump on my chair, then up on the sewing table. There's sun shining in and he's my sunshine boy!!! Only thing is, that's directly in front of my machine. When I was quilting my January UFO, he was right in my way. OR, maybe I was disturbing him?!! Maybe I'm 'enabling' him...he did it so much I finally put the old Christmas tree skirt on there for a bed!

Headie! Yay for you!!! So happy you got it done!!! Good for you!!! I'm adding your name to the list. Can't wait to see your pictures!!! Isn't it just the best feeling?!!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Oh I miss my beagle Heidi! I just love the backs of my animal's necks! So sweet.

posted Hide Post
Here's both of mine...

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonesewin:
neither do dogs and batting. If I leave it hanging down from the rollers Sadie loves to get underneath and sleep in it. Only, she doesn't just lay still - she gets bored (or paranoid) and attacks the batting.

My Scruffy is very good about not chewing on most things but he will eat wool batting. That was a surprise.

Posts: 875 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post