Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Our January 2014 UFO is........and the winner is...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our January 2014 UFO is........and the winner is... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted
#3!!! Some of you chatted last night and saw my horrible hint!!! You learned that I'm not so good at keeping secrets!!!

It's a new year and a great time to get those UFO's out. I'm excited to work on mine! The fabric was a gift from a special friend AND also some that I won at the Branson COF retreat! It will hang in my entry way and I'm so excited to be working on it!

I wish you all the best in working on your projects. Please post any and all pictures that you would like to along the way. If you are unable to post pictures here, you can email them to me and I'd be happy to post them for you! Just let me know if you need my email!

Just so you all remember, here's what everyone will be finishing in January:
Will Quilt for Chocolate - Pink Batik Pointing the Way...add Borders, quilt and bindSmile

Headielamar…Redwork with a Twist - sew blocks together, quilt and bind Smile

Seeing Stars…Flannel baby quilt trio - borders, quilt and bind. Smile

Mcpatches… HGTV block lottery bright faux log cabin - assemble blocks, border, quilt & bind (think I may get more than 1 quilt from the 76 blocks) Smile

Gonesewin…NC COF RR to be finished - boarders added and quilted - to be donated

Nancyc20…small baby quilt quilted and bound. Smile

Quilter Jen… Stepping stone batik- add border, quilt and bind

Wiley…Trim and bind quilt for my GS Smile

RN55… Hgtv rrrr: finish last row sew rows borders quilt bind

Warm buns…T shirt quilt for a lady at church that lost her husband and she tried to make a quilt from all his t-shirts and could not get it quilted. I have had to take it apart and I need to get the stabilizer on the back and get it put back together and quilt and bind. Smile

Cookie Quilts…Wildflower, One Block Wonder. Quilt and bind Smile

Irish62…RRRR guild rows...same at 2 Smile

Sew Happy… Moda Candy Bars, assemble, quilt and bind Smile

Gardenpat - Scrappy Mountain Majesties- finish piecing, add borders, back, quilt & bind Smile

Susan-TN - Blue Kaleidoscope- assemble blocks & sew them together

PatriciaAnne - Skating Penguin wall hanging-quilt & bindSmile

Needlecrazy - Another challenge I can't remember the name of: quilt, bind. Smile

Toryam - Amy's baby quilt # 1: assemble blocks, quilt, bind (bird)

3grandkids - Judy Niemeyer paper pieced table runner - started, but needs completely done and then batting, backing, and quilting. Smile

Malou - 3 Charity Quilts: binding on all Smile

Ilovemy4kids - Ugly jelly roll top(top done)

Quiltedmagnolia - Branson OFF row by row - sandwich, quilt, and bind

Rainbow - Dot/smiley face TV quilt for nephew. Finish top, quilt/bind - Smile

Gemsq - Sampler BOM lap quilt: sandwich, quilt, and binding Smile

MountainLaurel - Branson Row by Row....needs sandwiched quilted and binding.

GaAngel97 - Blue Jean Quilt (Blue) - Cut squares from jeans and flannel, sew and snip

Quiltslots - Halloween - Quilting and Binding Smile

QW - Quilted sweatshirt jacket, put pieces together, fit, add zipper, bind Smile

DJBrown - HGTV COF 2012 Row Robin Lap Quilt - quilt & binding Smile

Sue Stitches - Java pattern Hexagon table topper: figure out how to back, then back, quilt, and bind

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Happy Sewing!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Posts: 5014 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
I have # 3 pulled out, number of blocks counted, and even did a little sewing tonight/morning!
Happy to get started getting 'em done!!!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9558 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
And I'll be working on that stupid quilt for DHs friend & join you next month! Big Grin

Here's my list that I'll start in February:

1. Gems in the Ruff Mystery- quilt & bind
2. While the Cat's Away Mystery- (probably add a border), sandwich, quilt & bind
3. ---
4. Holiday Halftime Mystery- (probably add a border), sandwich, quilt & bind
5. Chatterbox Placemat Challenge Baby Quilt- sandwich, quilt & bind
6. 2012 COF Row Robin- sandwich, quilt & bind

Posts: 4682 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
You over achiever Rainbow!
I'll have to wait until later to look at mine...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5117 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with that roll of the dice! I have some other things I must take care of first today but hope to get started working on number three by this afternoon. Thanks for motivating us. Good luck everyone, I hope we have 30 completed UFO's by the end of the month.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1764 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good number for me to start with! I'm excited and need to refresh myself on all the colors and directions. Sounds like a good project for today and tomorrow - very cold here and snow is coming.

Posts: 274 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, WQFC, for reminding us which UFO it is that we will work on! That certainly saves time that it would take to sort through the post-holiday clutter to find my list that I carefully placed somewhere that would ensure that it wasn't misplaced!!! Lol!!!

Now, on to work!!

pat

Posts: 5140 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea! It just so happens that my new (old as in 1980's gammill) is just waiting to be tested out in my basement. Time to conquer the fear and get busy! After all....it is an "ugly" quilt so it's perfect for practice. It will still be warm!

Happy stitching everyone in this new year!

Willquilt...I saved you some chocolate! Wink

Posts: 530 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I couldn't wait, I took a half hour break from other duties to sew. I'm so excited!!! Now back to work for me. Later....

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1764 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Wow, a lot of ambitious quilters out there. Smile Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Posts: 8115 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Morning! I'm up with the dogs, but not moving yet! I was up late last night!

ilovemy4kids - I appreciate that you saved me some chocolate! I may need it later today if I don't get a nap! LOL!

Rainbow - have you finished yours yet?!! ha ha

Angela - I'll get my lists updated!!! Glad you can join in!.

Here's a sneak peak of what I'm working on this month. Have the top all pieced. I'll be adding the white narrow border and then the wider burgundy. I honestly can't remember if I've purchased binding! I bought a backing that I love so much, I might use it for something else!

posted Hide Post
Jill, that's going to be gorgeous! I'll get upstairs and press my top shortly, so I can add a pic. It's been folded up for quite a while...

So glad you're doing this, sometimes I need a nudge.

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
3 is do-able for me, too! There is one (and I'm not telling what number) that I am dreading to work on. Put it on the list on purpose to finish it, but it's not 3!

Posts: 5786 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Good Luck to everyone working on their number 3 UFO. This will be a fun challenge to follow.

Posts: 5315 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
I don't have time to get going today but try to get at it on Friday when I am off work. This is one that I really want to get done, because after all it is winter, I should get it put up before it is to late! HaHa, only 15 years late at this point!

Posts: 530 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Ha, ha, ha! Jill!!! l do have the 5 more blocks finished and l'm ready to sew the blocks together. Nothing fancy here! :0

Come on everyone! Let's get sewing!!!

======================

Posts: 9558 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Trimmed and sewed binding on. Now I have to press, turn and handstitch binding on the back.
It was really easy to do, don't know why I waited so long.Big Grin:

Posts: 4442 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean! I pulled my project out and asked myself...why isn't this done?!!

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Top together except border. Border picked out. Now on to cutting.....

======================

posted Hide Post
Wow Rainbow! I did work on my 2013 BOM a bit. Right now Hunter and I are eating mexican dip and watching the NHL Winter Classic! I'm still in my jammmies!!! It's been the most relaxing day of the holiday!

posted Hide Post
Glad you're having a relaxing day Jill! From the BOM thread I see you also got your BOMs laid out.... good for you!

Rainbow, you make me laugh! I think you're going to be the prime cheerleader on this thread!! I'll need some cheers!

I did get out the three charity quilts.
My local quilt shop has a charity group and at the shop there's a stash of donated fabric you can choose from to make a charity quilt.
I got binding cut and pressed for all three quilts... two baby and one lap-type.
Tomorrow I should be able to sew it on and then have only the hand stitching on the back!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
My project will start with a quick trip to the fabric store for some flannel border fabric. I think I have enough for backing, but what I have is too busy for the borders.

Posts: 3613 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I have my top and back completely done. I am trying to use stash as much as possible but I don't think I have enough batting. May have to stop at Fabric Depot after work tomorrow; that could be expensive! LOL

Posts: 2886 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It hasn't taken me long to figure out that I'm not good at long term planning! I know part of the reason I had to put my project down was because I didn't have borders. So, I bought borders...in August, yet I never considered backing or binding at that time.

Bought a backing last weekend and still never thought of a binding!

I hope in the future, I'll start thinking of all these things in advance.

As far as batting is concerned, I really wish I had enough space to just order a roll when it's on sale.

Headie - if you buy more things tomorrow, you can make sure you have enough projects to create UFO's for the future!!!

Malou - I don't envy you with all that binding!! CookieQuilts loves binding, maybe she can give you a hand!

SeeingStars - Good luck finding the fabric you need! I bought my backing, but I love it so much that I might have to shop for something different to use! I make it harder than it has to be!!! LOL!

posted Hide Post
WCFC- sound like you are off to a ROARING start. I will be watching for completed projects.. Good luck to all and enjoy your sewing. Sue

Posts: 1584 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Top is finished. Mike likes it! Tomorrow l will sandwich and quilt the baby quilt l am currently working on. That baby's not due until April! Can you believe l'm ahead on that one? Then l will sandwich/quilt # 3.

Now, if l can just keep this up l'll be doing good! Oh, and all these projects are from stash! Hopefully, l will not need to buy backing. l keep going to the closet and pulling out a piece that will be just right. So far, so good!

======================

posted Hide Post
If you keep this up, you'll be ALL done by the end of January! LOL! It's just like your tagline...You got yourself started, you are unstoppable!!!

posted Hide Post
Here's a picture from Cookie Quilts. She'll be along to tell us about it!

posted Hide Post
Thank you Jill!
We'll here it is, my #3. I pressed it today and was reminded why it's a UFO. 6 PC hexagons ( one block wonder) mine just doesn't lay flat. I hope to get it loaded on my mid-arm tomorrow and, as they say, IT'LL QUILT OUT!
I started it Feb '09 and added the borders Dec '12, only because I was getting ready to start another 1BW.
I'll be very glad to have it off my list. Best of luck to everyone.

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow, I'll get my blue kaleidoscope quilt out & start working on it!

Happy Stitching All!
Susan

Posts: 660 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Oh so pretty!

Found my box that had the projects in them...had put it in an "important place" (you know what the means). got out #3. I thought, " I get to work on this one!!Smile I think I had thought before..."Oh I need/should work on something else". So with this challenge comes a sense of freedom I have about finishing these now. How wonderful!

My machine is at the shop , but should be back this weekend. My other machine that died last week really did. Burned out the motor. $500. won't get that fixed until summer. Thank goodness I had 2.

I think like WQFC that I liked the backing so much I used it for something else. Well, time to dig through stash, or put a SURPRISE on the back. Well now to clean off the ironing board and press it!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8832 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Well, I at least know where the top is so I can get it out and get it on the frame. However, no backing big enough so need to make a Joann's run. Grrrrr!

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6650 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cookie, that is gorgeous!
Looks nice and flat to me! I really like it!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
CookieQuilts, if your centers of your OBW have a bit of hump to them there are a couple things you could do to get them flat.

One is using starch and steam: Spray with starch or sizing until nicely wet, let it soak in, then using your iron steam it (I press it without steam) and it will help shrink the fabrics flat. I have used this on quilt blocks that I cut the curves too tight and they became D cups. I got them flat and trimmed them. They quilted great.

The other possibility is for the times when the center point where all the seams come together. Put a flat wooden board under the bump, another board on top of the bump. then whack it good with a hammer or rubber mallet. It will help flatten that seam bump.

I have gotten both of these methods from some long arm quilters on the APQS forum.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Cookie's OBW is gorgeous! I went to a lecture from a long armer. She said if the hump is an 'A' cup, it will quilt out. If it's more like a 'C' cup, you are in trouble!!!

posted Hide Post
Nancy - glad you found your bag!!! Your machine woes make me sad! Frown Glad you are happy with how the challenge is working...wait until 4 months from now! Sooner or later, the zinger will come up!!! LOL!

Carol - good luck buying your backing...will you pick one up for me?!! I don't have the best track record lately...bought a batik border I didn't use and now I have the Kaffe fabric that I just know I can't use for a back!

Susan - I can't wait to see your blue kaleidoscope!!! Sounds so pretty!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your machine woes make me sad!

I felt like I had mu rderd my machine. I cried. The technician was surprised at how much I use my machine.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8832 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Angela - I've got you added to my files. I'm laughing a little...can't wait to see what the Placemat Challenge Baby quilt is!!! I think I remember seeing it, but I'm not sure! It sounds like such an entertaining label!!!

That's the thing about this challenge...as you list what you are going to do, there are so many that I say to myself...can't wait to see THAT one! Wink

posted Hide Post
Thanks Malou, Madelyn and Jill. It is more like an A cup, some AA. I've done the steam pressing but without starch, will try adding that. I've never even heard of using the boards and hammer, but can see how that would work.

I'm excited to see some of the finished projects, they all sound so great. There will probably be some that I can't help but start myself.... Uh oh, that'll probably create more UFO's

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
WQFC and Cookie Quilts - love the pictures so far, can't wait to see these done. I think Rainbow is going to beat us all with how much she gets done during this challenge.

I don't need encouragement when it comes to shopping for fabric. I have so much now I could open my own store! I try to go into that place with blinders on and only get exactly what I need. We will see how well that works tonight. LOL

Posts: 2886 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I've added borders to the 2 smaller flannel baby quilts and the largest one is one the frame now. Woohoo! I think I'll have all 3 ready to bind by the end of the weekend. It will feel great to have this first UFO finished soon.

CookieQuilts - Your top is gorgeous. I'm sure you can quilt out the extra bulk. It's not noticeable in the photo.

WQFC - those borders will look terrific with your top. I adore batiks!

Posts: 3613 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, SeeingStars. I'm kinda new at doing my own quilting, so I'm a bit nervous about it. I just took my 5th charity quilt off the frame, so this will be my first quilt, off the frame, that I plan to keep. In fact, when I was taking that photo, my DH said "you're not giving that one away, are you?" So... I think he likes it.

Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
So does anyone know where i put #3? I can Find all BUT #3. Grrrrrrr. (Ps don't pick #6 anytime soon pulease!)

Posts: 438 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RN55 - I bet your #3 is with my notebook that I couldn't find before leaving for my Modern Quilt Guild meeting tonight!

I have to tell you all, our guild meeting assignment tonight was to bring a UFO!! We are going to work on them with the goal to be to finish by the end of the year. I almost brought one of my UFO's from this challenge, but I didn't! I brought one that isn't even blocks yet...just a bunch of half sewn pieces in a box!!!

Cookie's quilting skills are good! She just needs to build a little confidence in herself!!! I have confidence in her!!!

Seeing Stars - you are making awesome progress!!! I haven't done any more with mine since taking that picture!! But, that changes tomorrow!!!

Haven't heard from Headie yet...wonder if she ever made it back out of the fabric store or if she's still in there shopping?!!

Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Still looking for #3! What I thought was it was extra fabric. I'm not really sure how to bind it and the instructor for the class was not one of my favorites so I may have really hid it though I know i still have it..

Posts: 877 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Cookie Quilts, beautiful quilt! Love the colors.

Well, my day didn't go like l had planned. l got up this morning with itchy watery eyes! lt's just hard to do anything when you can see. They did get better as the day went on and l finally got to sew. l quilted the baby quilt that l already had ready. Didn't want it to become an UFO! Then l made a block from Sandra's aunt. l also crocheted 2 angels to send to her aunt. Pics of those are on the stashbusters thread as they were all stash!

And l crocheted some on a baby afghan. My hands won't let me crochet much. Found out today that shower is on the 25th. l'll have to keep at it to get it done on time.

Then l did work on # 3! Well, not much but l got it sandwiched, but not pinned. lt'll be waiting on me when l get home from town tomorrow. Have a funeral of an elderly lady from church to go to and help with the dinner afterward.

Then l get to do some shopping! Got a gift card, and gotta see if l want to spend it now or not! l haven't been to town all Christmas Break. l love being at home though.

School starts back on Monday so l need to get as much done as l can before then b/c that's usually when l stop. And, oh, it's hard to get me started again! LOL

Come on! Find that # 3! Get what you need to finish it! Get busy sewing!!! Smile

======================

posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the list! Will dig mine out once Christmas celebrations are over.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I have been able to get my #3 sewn with all seams completed. Now to do the binding on it, as well as add the pockets and put in the zipper. I also plan to bind all the inside seams. I wear enough thread on my clothes without having more added from jackets.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I am happy to say I made it out of the fabric store and spent less than $20! Batting was 30% off and I got two skiens of embroidery floss for a lions head I am embroidering on the back of a vest for my son. They had beautiful fabric on sale for 50% off but I had to leave it all behind.

My sister is coming over for brunch tomorrow, she goes back to Cairo in a few days so this will be the last time I see her until next summer. I will get back to #3 after brunch.

Hope you find yours soon Sue Stitches.

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
Pulled out #3....decided it needed more of my focal fabric, so made a row of wonky stars today. Still need one more row....might be more stars! Feels good to be working on this now.

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post