Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  "The High Low Project" cabinet project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The High Low Project" cabinet project Sign In/Join 
posted
On an episode of The High Low Project" they were redoing a couples combined home office. They showed and antique metal cabinet that they recreated from a standard metal office cabinet (tall one with doors and shelves inside). They cut openings in top part of door for glass and added angle iron and metal studs around edges to get the finish. Either I walked out of the room or they didn't show the whole process. How would you add glass to the door and how would you attach the angle iron, etc.? Anyone else see this?!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
added angle iron and metal studs around edges to get the finish.

I don't understand what this sentence means. But I do not think that cutting an opening in a metal door would be a job for an amateur and I don't understand what they were trying to achieve.

Also don't understand how they could make an "antique" out of something that wasn't.

Posts: 12587 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the beginning of that show but not the middle or end. I doubt they showed all the steps.

Most of those cabinets are pretty then and I would think any metal cutting blade would work. A picture frame wood molding would provide support for the glass and could be painted to look like metal. I would mount it on the inside. I am not sure of fasteners but likely metal screws.

I tried googling how to remake a metal cabinet but came up with nothing useful.

Posts: 7025 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
Cricket,

http://www.houzz.com/antique-v...metal-filing-cabinet

This site has hundreds of filing cabinet ideas.

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post