Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  Best way to restain a piece of wood furniture.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to restain a piece of wood furniture. Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a couple of antiques I want to refinish. One looks like it has the original stain on it (oak rocking chair) and the other I picked up off Craigslist (a walnut bookcase) that had a bad refinish job done. I want to strip them and refinish them. Can you all tell me the proper techniques/products to use to do this type of project. I've refinished before, but it was many years ago, and my dad was still alive to help me. I want a nice smooth finish in the end.

Thanks!

Posts: 778 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
To get you started?

Chemical Stripping the existing finish should probably be the last thing to try, after all else fails.

Often cleaning a piece with de-natured alcohol (apply and wipe off with old, lint free rag pieces, old worn out sheets are great). It will both clean and remove many old surface finishes. (without much loss to the original patina if that is important)

Gel stains are ideal for dealing with old pieces where stained areas maybe missing or blotchy. They are easier to work with, I think.

There are many different types of varnishes available, depending on the use of the piece and what kind of protection (or even gloss) you feel is necessary during it's intended use. A pro paint store can be a good source of help here.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a word of advice. An antique that has been refinished loses a bit of its cost value. My DIL took an antique record player to a dealer and they told her it had been refinished and had it not been, would be worth much much more. She did not care because it was a family piece but in case yours will be for sale some day, is a thing to think about.

love life

Posts: 1516 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - I've actually decided not to refinish the rocker - it's in decent shape anyway and I'll just clean it up. The bookcase, however, has already been refinished by someone else and they didn't do a good job. It has to be redone. I plan to use it anyway so no big deal to me.

Posts: 778 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If it has already been refinished, no problem with a do-over.

Strypeeze, paint and varnish stripper, is my "go to product" for any chemical stripping. I have found it fast and effective anyway. Good ventilation is the key for safe use...with any flammable chemicals.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post