Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  Fireplace from drab to FAB?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireplace from drab to FAB?! Sign In/Join 
posted
We recently purchased a new home and have taken on quite a few DIY challenges in the process. I desperately want to redo the fireplace but I don't have the first clue on how to get started. We've already decided that we aren't going to burn anything in it and I have purchased a candelabra to go inside of it for decoration; however, it's completely lost in the darkness of the fireplace.

Any suggestions on how to revamp the entire fireplace? We've also considered repainting/revamping the mantel as well, but have no idea where/how to get started. I've scrubbed the inside of the fireplace but thats about it so far! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

fireplace image

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If you post this on general decorating you will get more advice.

It seems a real shame not to use a real fireplace for real flames~ Maybe you are in a warm part of the country?

I actually think the fireplace looks great but maybe more pictures of the room it is in would help viewers.

If you really don't want to use this I would advise against doing anything fake like the candleabra. Of course you could rip the whole thing out and put wall board up.

However fireplaces are a real asset in selling a house.

Posts: 12849 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we are living in Texas and rarely need a fireplace. We had one in our apartment and never used it. I plan to keep it in working order for the next owners of this house, but I want to brighten it up and make it more of a focal point in the room. I only removed the wood rack and scrubbed out all of the soot, but I don't plan on making it completely closed off or anything.

posted Hide Post
People who don't need heat or want the bother with wood sometimes install a gas fireplace for the looks.

Posts: 3211 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of look do you want? What is the current fireplace made of?

Posts: 7131 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think The only way to show off the candelabra inside would be to paint the it a lighter color, but then you might not be able to use it without removing the paint. You could always check with a chimney sweep to find out what can be used.

Posts: 978 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Oct 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could buy glass fireplace doors, which would
also keep heat, a/c from leaking out of the house.
It makes a big difference, plus looks great too.
And another plus, the doors would contain any
critters which might come down.
We had a starling bird come down ours years ago (no glass doors then) and by being trapped in my house all day, he made a BIG mess everywhere he could land.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steeler fan,

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Posts: 564 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
I also live in Texas and seldom use our fireplace. If you put candles inside try and use white candles so you won't have to paint the inside. Candlelight gives off a nice romantic look without heating the house. Google images of 'fireplaces using candles' and you can see all sorts of different ideas.

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a large wood burning fireplace; when not in use used I close the damper to prevent heat or cooling loss. In summer I use a wrought iron tiered candle holder (3 rows high & 4 across). Because the firebox has blackened and the candle holder is black, only the candles are noticable.

P.S. if you plan to use the fireplace do NOT paint the inside of the firebox

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tessa89,

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a chimney cover at the top of your chimney...I would suggest that FIRST. It will keep critters from getting into the fireplace.
Have you thought about one of those old fireplace fans? They sit in front of it and block the view of the firebox. Some of the really old ones had beautiful pictures painted on them...some were solid & some folded.

Here is a link to images of some of the fans I'm talking about...

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...ative+fans&FORM=IGRE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4960 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, did get covers on the top of the chimney.
Bird incident was years ago before such things
were available.

Posts: 564 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I found this seemingly amazing product a while ago which I would use to clean the fire brick. Then, have a sheet of mirror cut to fit the back inside to double the candle light of your candelabra. A framed mirror is another alternative. Laying the candelabra on a mirror in addition to the back mirror if you like. BTW, I have battery candles on mine for safety and cleanliness reasons.

Option fireplace cavity fillers/concealers are...

A LARGE FLORAL ARRANGEMENT
A LARGE PIECE OF GARDEN STATUARY
A GROUPING OF POTTERY OF VARIED HEIGHTS AND SHAPES
AN ANTIQUE TOY OR TOOL
A DECORATIVE CHEST
POTS OF SILK GREENS OR FLOWERS
A DECORATIVE SCREEN
A LARGE PAINTING ON A SHORT EASEL
STACKED CUT WOOD WITH EXPOSED ENDS FACING OUTWARD
A DECORATIVE FAN
A CHINESE UMBRELLA OPENED
A STANDING PIECE OF IRON GATE
A STANDING PIECE OF STAINED GLASS OR BEVELED GLASS BACK LIT

BTW, I think your fireplace surround is handsome.

Posts: 18711 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo: great hints, love them all.
what is the brick cleaning product?

posted Hide Post
Well I just posted a question in a different forum about a DIY tabletop fireplace I was thinking of building. I was going to use an ethanol burner from http://www.electricfiredepot.com and build around it. Might be something you could use as well...the flames would be more realistic than candles, and you can integrate some creative decorating ideas around the burner or get fake logs.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a mirror cut to fit the back of the fireplace. Lean the mirror and set your candelabra in front of it. A nice reflection and easily replaced for something else.

love life

Posts: 1545 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched a home imp. program last week and they
addressed the fact that the damper does not prevent warm air from going up the chimney.
They recommended a product called
chimney plug which is blown up and forced into
the vertical opening to the chimney.
Does not solve your ugly fireplace problem but
does help with heating costs.

posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the postings! I'm going to check out the table top fireplace idea, and also the wrought iron.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KristinFrakes,

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Kristen you just gave everyone who has access to this public forum your email address.

Also Iron Garden structures is advertising and that is forbidden on these forums.

Posts: 12849 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then re-register WITHOUT the name of your business and share those ideas with us. There is NO tolerance for advertising from us.

Posts: 1982 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post