Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  Embroidery hoop wall decor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Embroidery hoop wall decor Sign In/Join 
Picture of joyluck
posted
I'm no longer doing much T2T as I am downsizing and editing all my 'stuff' but I decided I couldn't *yet* part with these old embroidery hoops. At first I thought I'd use fabrics as I've done before. However I also wanted to do something with some of my old useless patterns so just combined the two. This was a very quick and easy project and may be only temporary but was kinda fun.

Embroidery hoop wall decor...

Close up of old metal hoop...

Close up of oval hoop...

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done.

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Thanks metwo! I was looking for something to do with the patterns. Wonder if anyone else has crafts they've done with them?

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I have read about doing something with patterns but can't think of any. Maybe I'll remember shortly. I'll try to concentrate.Smile

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like what you did with your hoops.

Our sewing guild decopuaged the patterns on wooden boxes. They turned out pretty nice. I didn't do one. They used Mod Podge and recommended a sealer be applied.

Will be good to hear of other ideas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally cute! Maybe old maps might be an idea, too?

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rosenana
posted Hide Post
For something more colorful, why not use fabric? Something with a large print so that you can use different sections of the fabric in different hoops.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: Oct 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
The original poster said that she wanted something DIFFERENT from the usual fabric.

Posts: 3161 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rosenana
posted Hide Post
Sorry about not reading the message thoroughly. It was just an honest oversight.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: Oct 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes....I did not mean it to sound harsh....Smile

Posts: 3161 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder if anyone else has crafts they've done with them?

Yes, I have used them in decoupage, can't find a pic just now. I have also seen lampshades made of them, the paper fluted onto the frame.

I think they would be great as wallpaper in a sewing room.

(we were poor enough as children that we sometimes used them for something else!)

BTW Joy I like your idea and think it is a great use of no longer needed items. I do have a niece though who actually uses these old patterns for clothing! I mean as patterns for such.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12660 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rosenana
posted Hide Post
You can use old embroidery hoops as weaving looms.