Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  Vintage "Italian Tole" floral lamp.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage "Italian Tole" floral lamp. Sign In/Join 
posted
I was given a large (25 inches to the bottom of the light bulb)vintage lamp - it is metal and is showing some age - the base especially needs some help. And the paint overall needs a little luster.
I'm looking for any advice in fixing it up and also some help with the lampshade - I have no Idea what would be appropriate for this kind of base. Obviously the one on there doesn't work Smile

Thanks!!

Lamp Photo

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gosh, i wish i had some suggestions for you. i just wanted to say that it IS an interesting lamp and, yes, i agree that it needs a different shade. wonder if you can google some descriptive words for the lamp and see some images of ones that are similar?

Posts: 2867 | Location: Long Island | Registered: Sep 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I would buy or thrift a black wrought iron non-shade, a victorian type shade. Find one that is an appropriate size and if it is not black spray it black. The lamp doesn't need a traditional shade because it is very ornate, very detailed. I think the wrought iron will really show it off.

Posts: 5 | Location: Canada | Registered: Oct 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can picture it hanging upside down from the ceiling over the dining room table with a shade the same color as one of the flowers. Pretty.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Jun 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of greylove
posted Hide Post
love the lamp!! Wouldn't a round, flared shade work with it? I think you could get metal paint and touch up the flowers and leaves nicely.

“Some people say I’m easily distrac- Hey Look, a bird!”

Posts: 128 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Sep 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I did some checking and I agree with a flared lampshade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7705 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Me too! We could make a club together but I don't like clubs. Too busy dropping out of society.

OP your light bulb is super bright. It's blinding me from the other side of the world... Big Grin

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post