Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  Discarded machine shop drawer rack into display case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discarded machine shop drawer rack into display case Sign In/Join 
posted
Just thought I'd post a quick picture of this display case/ coffee table that I made from an old metal drawer base. I added plywood bottoms, topped with felt, and a custom piece of glass. I also put some black rubber gaskets around the edges to stop cat hair and dust from entering. Turns out it was the perfect place for all of my small collectibles which were hiding away in various drawers in my house. It's also the perfect height for a coffee table, which is what I'm using it for. I probably spent less than $70 for the glass, wood and felt. The green rack itself was free!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Did you spray paint the base?

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.. I just used Gibbs penetrating spray on it.. it's AMAZING stuff.. it brings back the original color , and blends in the rust.. also stops it from rusting. My friend who restores antique cars recommended it for any painted metal.

posted Hide Post
Where do you buy the Gibbs Penetrating Spray? I have the perfect project to try it on....a little Radio Flyer pedal car that has been sitting in the desert sun!

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I like that! Looks very good!
Did you secure the items in some way so they won't move if the table is bumped?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4830 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...netrating+oil&_frs=1
Try Amazon also.. it is expensive, but I've had the same can for about a year and a half, and done many projects with it. You'll be shocked at how it brings back color to paint. Karen, I didn't secure anything.. most things are flat, and this table is so heavy, that even if I ran into it, it's not going ANYwhere!

posted Hide Post
Also, felt has some interesting gripping properties.

posted Hide Post
Absolutely lovely!

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for letting me know where to purchase it. I will check it out.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 127 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post