Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  "stinky" candles!?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"stinky" candles!?! Sign In/Join 
posted
I mean in a GOOD way... nice, strong fragrance that lasts. I'll be on the look-out for the "good" candles (like Yankee) when yard sale season starts back up... soon, I hope. Often find them barely used... maybe not "pretty" anymore... for a song. Also like those candle warmers that hold pint-sized-ish jars. Have 3-4 on timers and walk in front door to a nice aroma everyday.

When aroma starts to fade (the "good" ones have lasted well over a YEAR being remelted every day)... I revive them with those squares of just scent. I just look for a similar scent... pumpkin or apple pie candle comes back nicely with something like cinnamon buns!?!

Over time, have made some BIG scores of Party Lites stuff at yard sales... usually someone who used to do those demos. Have plunked 2-3 votives, sans wicks, into a mason jar and into warmer with success.

Posts: 5578 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have stinky candles because of allergies but it seems I always see candles at sales. You should have some good picking.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love candles but don't burn them out of fear. I recently discovered those electric candle warmer things and they're very nice to have, all of the pleasure of candles but none of the worry.

I do have allergies, too, so have to be careful of scents. I have some scent free votive candles that I've plopped into the warmers with some pure essential oils. That works nicely, too. Might even be able to do that with water as the base.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post