Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  How to repurpose laminate kitchen countertops?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to repurpose laminate kitchen countertops? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi All
We just replaced our kitchen countertops and I would love to repurpose the old blue laminate one but I am lacking imagination. Any ideas?

Posts: 495 | Registered: Jun 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The obvious use is for a garage/basement workshop counter. That is all I can think of now.

Posts: 7307 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We cut our laminate counter into a square and put legs on it for a child's table. Or in a rec room or covered porch, you could cut it into an oblong, paint the edges, put legs on it and use it for a coffee table. Or cut in a smaller square, put longer legs on it and use it for a plant stand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1571 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much metwo and May. Wonderful ideas. I appreciate your ideas.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I used a piece as the top for a glass cutting counter in my craft room. it was only about 2 X 2 but very sturdy.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1580 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pat
posted Hide Post
I took a piece of laminate and placed it on top of my wood cutting board. When I'm done I clean the laminate (it is easier to clean then the wood cutting board). I put the laminate away and close my cutting board.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Washington State | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We used one piece to make a small shelf/counter that goes between my washer & dryer. I store things like clothes pins there.
Also, a piece could make a nice potting table for plants or just to use outside for all kinds of chores out there.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5139 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you those are great ideas!

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
You are talking about the old counter tops right?..and not just a flimsy pierce of laminate.

If you are talking about an old counter top...fits perfect over two-2 drawer filing cabinets ---one at each end ...for a desk.

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
You are talking about the old counter tops right?..and not just a flimsy pierce of laminate.

If you are talking about an old counter top...fits perfect over two-2 drawer filing cabinets ---one at each end ...for a desk.

So are old smooth doors. Done that a few times! Big Grin And if you don't have file cabinets or only have one...concrete blocks work too...and you can make a shop work table by using the concrete blocks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5139 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post