Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  cheap wall 'art'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cheap wall 'art' Sign In/Join 
posted
I can't quite decide if I wanted to build shelves or get furniture for this area. In the meantime I was tired of looking at a blank wall. Whatever I put there would be temporary so it had to be cheap. So I used toilet paper rolls. Maybe this will give someone else ideas.

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I started collecting rolls a month or so ago to do something similar later in the spring. Did you spray paint yours?

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE OH | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is spray painted and it does absorb it so it took a whole can.

Another hint is to use a craft glue that is rated as super tacky. If you use regular craft glue you have to clothes pin them together till it dries and you end up with flat spots and a different look.

P.S. I laid my out first and in that layout it filled that whole space!! I thought I had them tight to each other in the layout but you can see how much smaller it got once glued.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7047 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6658 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Could you explain how you transformed the rolls? Can you post a close up of the shapes?

Posts: 18693 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. Could you explain how you transformed the rolls? Can you post a close up of the shapes?

Yes, I second this request. It looks great but it is hard to pick the toilet paper. Did you make beads out of toilet paper or somehow use the cardboard center?

Posts: 12660 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You cut the center cardboard rolls into slices. I cut mine 3/4" but you could use 1/2" or whatever. I found it easiest to mark it on two spots and then use a scissor to cut. That naturally squeezes one end. You can use it that way or round it out again.

To get the stuck paper off just a little dab of water works.

posted Hide Post
Ok, totally late to the party on this one but that is beautiful, Met!

Posts: 6085 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post