Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Trash to Treasure
  Yellowing white purse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellowing white purse Sign In/Join 
posted
We do not go out much, but when we do go out in
the summer I take my small white leather purse.
Recently we went to a dinner and I put my purse
on the white tablecloth in the middle of the table and noticed how "yellow, dingy" it looked.
Any hints on how to clean it up?
I got the purse at a sale, and cannot bring myself to buy a new one at a department store for such few times I need it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Posts: 563 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It is leather and not vinyl right? Is the yellowing consistent over all the purse or just in contact areas? Some white fabrics are so much whiter and brighter than any leather dye (in comparison)
Might try just cleaning it with a leather cleaner. I have one around and use it for leather car upholstery. And there is always a good leather shoe colorant or polish if needed.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
When needed I always wash leather pocket books in the washing machine.

Just did one last week. this I bought at a charity shop for $3 but it was real leather. Didn't realize at first that it smelled of tobacco smoke. Tried dryer sheets, airing etc. Finally tossed it in the washer and dried in the hot summer air and sun.

I have done this many, many times and have had not ill effects at all. (toss in with a white load of towels.)

Posts: 12183 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Ditto what LOS had said ! I have never had an issue with my leather sandals or purses in the washing machine.

As I have said before....what do you have to lose ? You are not going to use it when it is dirty or yucky, so you might as well chance it!

Posts: 3036 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
just use gentle cycle, cold water, and throw in a towel or two so you house doesn't sound like congo drum concert from the shoes hitting the inside of the wash. I even wash all my shoes in the washer.

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
just use gentle cycle, cold water,

Actually I just use regular cycle and hot water. Never had a mishap.

Posts: 12183 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. Right, nothing to lose, I would not use it like it is.
It is evenly yellowed with the strap being
a little more.
Yes it is all leather.
Next towel load, it will be done.

Posts: 563 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the purse in my delicate load and dried it
on the screened porch over a few days and it
turned out wonderful. Thanks, all.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good Job!
Glad you were able to restore the whiteness!

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post