Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  need advice for dark kitchen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need advice for dark kitchen Sign In/Join 
posted
my new condo kitchen is 8x9, black appliances, tan "granite" speckeled laminate countertops and neutral vinyl floor. The cabinets have also been painted black. The colors would look better in a larger kitchen but with only one widow the small kitchen seems dark. What color can I paint the walls to lighten/brighten it? I'm thinking possibly granny smith apple green. I've had yellow kitchen walls elsewhere nd am tired of it. Suggestions please.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered painting the cabinets? They are such a major part of the kitchen and black just soaks up all the light.

AS far as the walls, apple green or anyother light color would do. Walls are quick and easy to redo.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what color would you suggest for the cabinets? With black appliances I'm not sure what color to use.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So much depends upon the look you want. White/cream are very traditional. But I have seen attractive ones in light gray and light taupe.

I am probably not the best to be answering this as I don't really like painted cabinets. But yours already are so you might as go with it.

As far as color, try posting on the general decorating board. You will likely get more answers there.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post