Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  windows or not / bowl typ sinks OMG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

windows or not / bowl typ sinks OMG Sign In/Join 
posted
shoiuld a bathroom have a windsow . Hubby says no I say yes ..

those Bowls they have now are ugly IMHP . what do yall think

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is always desirable to have a window in every room, why not the bathroom?

I don't what bowl you are referring to in your comment?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You posted this same question about 2 weeks ago (5/12).

Is there a reason you are asking again?

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Didn't read your post right, you meant window not windowsill...sorry!

If the bath is on an exterior wall than of course it should have a window, no question about that. I think it's even code where I live.

As far as vessel sinks, I think some are pretty but would rather have one smooth surface for ease of cleaning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I want a window in every room. Sometimes interior bathrooms are unable to have a window but let's hope they have a good ventilation system.
As far as the vessel sinks being ugly, obviously you haven't done much looking at them. They come in every material, color and shape imaginable. Yes some of them ARE ugly, but many of them are works of art.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like this one:

Carved Marble vessels style sink

As you can see, in this case, there was room on the top for more than the sink.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Window in bathroom(s) - preferable. IMHO so much better for putting on makeup. I have one bathroom with windows, one without. I put my makeup on in the bathroom with windows.

You either like vessel sinks, or you don't. I don't. My brother-in-law insisted on granite countertop and two vessel sinks in their tiny apartment bathroom. They are never in there together and the counter space would've been preferable to sister-in-law.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I normally don't care much for vessels style sinks either, for two reasons: First, most of what is out there is garbage; second, I agree that when you need the counter space, vessels style sinks are a poor choice.

What I mean by garbage is that most vessels style sinks completely miss the point. They are supposed to be sculptural items - functional art. It's a style of sink that just becomes ridiculous and ugly when interpreted for mass market.

The idea of mounting a sink above the top is to display a SCULPTURE - one you happen to be able to wash your hands in. You're supposed to feel something special about seeing and using such an item.

Almost all the vessels style sinks any of us will ever see, will never even come close, to being a sculptural item.

If it's not a joy to behold, and satisfying to use, what's the point?

The sink I linked to above is hand carved marble, doesn't leak, is easy to use, leaves lots of counter top open for use - and looks very nice in its setting. It's unusual, the material is beautiful, and the owner takes great satisfaction in owning and using it.

So, is it practical? It holds water, stays attached to the top, and is easy to wash your hands in.

So's a plastic bucket, if you stick it down with marine silicone adhesive, on a low top.

Hmm. Sounds creative. Oh, forget it.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
I've seen windowless baths with plenty of light.

We removed our window--over the tub.
Skylights are wonderful!

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the sink pictured. I have glass bowls in a bath that is no longer used a lot, since the kids are grown and moved away. They look good and sparkle because they are kept super clean and polished. They pick up the blue from the granite below and look great. But would I use them if the kids were young and splashing everywhere, no!

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post