Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grout selection Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm doing an emergency bathroom remodel (we got a leak that required the vinyl floor to be torn out, and I decided to replace it with tile instead). I've had to make quick decisions, and have managed to pick everything except grout.

Sorry about the picture and color quality - I took these with an old phone. The tile is a cool pinkish brown, a little light, and the accent has a mix of blues, browns, copper, and shine - I love it. Also, my bathroom is fairly small.

I'm a little torn here - the darker grout seems to be the favorite - it makes the tile stand out and blends in a bit with the accent. However, the lighter one blends in with the tile pretty well, but makes the accent stand out more. Normally, I'd go with the darker, but in this case, since I'm putting in an accent, wouldn't I want the accent to stand out more? What's better from a resale point of view? I'm buying my grout later today(like, in less than eight hours), so any opinions I can get would be very much appreciated...

Posts: 13 | Location: Austin, TX, United States | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion here, but with any floor situation, I would sure opt for the darker grout. Less likely to show any discoloration/soil in the traffic path of the bathroom.

My personal choice might even be a bit darker than your dark one. Wink

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Honestly, I think it looks even darker in my bathroom. Smile

Posts: 13 | Location: Austin, TX, United States | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
The tile by itself looks better with the darker imo...but I can see that the lighter ties with the other larger tiles.... Wink. But as I hate to scrub my grout...darker is better...for wear and tear.

Now what kind of grout is BEST in bathrooms for long term upkeep?!?!

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7481 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My personal preference is to choose the darkest shade in any floor tile (if it has mottled/blended colors), and find a grout color that is similar. That way the tile visually plays front and center, and one's eyes do not get wrapped up in the lighter grid lines.

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post