Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  Is it appropriate to have bathroom directly off of dining/family room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it appropriate to have bathroom directly off of dining/family room Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm trying to remodel my rental property. The only bathroom on the ground floor is hidden behind the laundry room, and is extremely small. One would have to enter laundry room first from the kitchen. I want to expand and isolate the bathroom from the laundry room by opening a door from the dining/family room. Is this appropriate? The only other option is to only expand the bathroom, but still make people walk thru the laundry room to get to the bathroom. The only problem here is that i also want to put the water heater in the laundry room; i would have to stack the washer/dryer to save space. Here is my plan.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oeub...9durk5/bath_plan.jpg
I appreciate any feedbacks or ideas. thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: extremeblue99,

New Bathroom

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people think it is terrible to have a bathroom door open into any room except a bedroom or hallway. They are concerned about germs spreading. Dont know why having "germs" in the bedroom is okay?

I did not look at your plan. I would have to download it and will not do that especially with a first time poster. I think it is fine to open in the dining room depending upon where and how the door is located.

Since this is a rental you have to appeal to most people so you better see what others say.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I doubt if this would be a problem for renters, or anyone else inhabiting the apartment.

I've seen worse:in many very old buildings, bathrooms were often shoe horned into a kitchen area.

The good news is that you have wisely located the sink area opposite the door, with the commode hidden from sight. So, even with a door left ajar, the view inside would be pleasant.

If possible, can you install a pocket door to the bathroom? It will free up more bathroom space, which everyone likes!

Posts: 5167 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I talked to 2 architect: one young and one old. The young architect thinks convenience and usability are more important considering the dining room will likely used as an a more informal family room. The other architect basically said it's just awful to have bathroom access from dining room. It's embarrassing, smelly, just utterly disgusting. Anyway, i'm still a bit torn. If i stack up the laundry machines, i will have room for water heater with a pocket door to the bathroom from laundry room. It's a hard decision.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: extremeblue99,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Well, you have some decisions to make, don't you!!

There is no perfect solution, IMO. I would be less inclined to enter the bathroom through the laundry room; sounds pretty awkward to me.

Do you know anyone who handles local real estate rentals you could ask for feedback? Someone like that could provide you with insights into your local rental market that perhaps you haven't considered.

Best of luck, in any event. I would not sweat over this too much. The fact that your rental property will be brand spanking new might override any concerns about bathroom location in renters' minds.

Posts: 5167 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Although somewhat awkward, I would prefer accessing the bath through the laundry room than having it open directly off the dining room.

However, if you have your heart set on accessing the bathroom from the dining room, the only suggestion I can offer is to create a "buffer zone" between the two spaces. For example, see the little hallway on this schematic that separates the entrance to the powder room (and to the master bedroom) from the gathering room. It adds a little gracious separation that could make all the difference if the your bath is off the dining room.

Posts: 8188 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post