Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  Seeking feedback about Barclay freestanding tubs.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking feedback about Barclay freestanding tubs. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Specifically a skirted, acrylic style. Did you find random gaps where the skirt meets the tub? Did it come pre caulked from the factory or distributor? If not, did you caulk at this joint?TIA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember discussing these tubs a few months ago. Yes, the one we used did have a little gap showing in some places, but not more than about 1/16 of an inch. I'd prefer it wasn't there but understand there are two separate molds involved. I would not caulk because there would be no way to match the color and sheen now and certainly not as it ages. We see it (as nitpickers) but the Average Joe or Joan could be in the room 1000 times and never notice.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I value your input, but the thought of seeing these gaps in the corners of this tub ( at least on the two front facing corners) will most likely drive me NUTS! Btw, DH thinks some gaps are 1/8-1/4". I am extremely disappointed that no mention of caulking is found on the companies' site and any on line pic I've seen of the tub shows a tight fit with zero gaps (obviously touched up for the photos). I now am at a loss as to how to proceed and the company keeps tossing the issue back in the bath supplier's hands. The drain pipe is already located in the tiled floor tho we are awaiting the filler which btw, will require an under the floor valve instillation ( some tiles have been removed for this purpose). FYI, the original plumber (sub contractor) has been replaced in this renovation. I won't elaborate on this guy's ethics. I think you can sense the frustration and worries regarding this entire process.

Let me ask you these questions...

Could we apply a white caulk from underneath the tub since it is yet to be installed? If the white is off or discolors, could we use an artist brush to attempt to get it to match the acrylic? Though the notion of this option scares me, I am artistic not to mention desperate.

Again, I appreciate anyone with expertise in this field taking the time to help me. I am about to lose it here!

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be very reluctant to add ANY other substance (caulk, paint) because it will always age (read: yellow) at a different rate than the tub material itself. If you are absolutely determined that you must deal with the situation and money is no object a complete filling of the gap and paint job for the outside from the rim down may be accomplished by a good auto body shop or boat repair facility.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but that is out of the question since MONEY IS AN OBJECT. Thanks anyway. It appears I will have to live with my choice.