Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  Help Choosing Bathroom Tile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Choosing Bathroom Tile Sign In/Join 
posted
So my girlfriend and I are trying to move out of our condo but we were looking to do some major renovations to the bathroom and kitchen to try and increase the resale value. The condo we are currently in is a small 850 sq ft 2 br, if that means anything.

So we want to start work on the bathroom but we are already hitting a wall in terms of planning. We keep looking at bathrooms on various websites but when we went out shopping the other day we just felt very overwhelmed in terms of tile selection.

Can anybody recommend some ideas with regard to the bathroom (I'm attaching some links to pics). We are talking about ripping down the tile on the walls and just leaving either stone or tile in the shower. As well as redoing the floor tile. We are both a fan of pics with darker stone/tile (black/gray) with lighter colored walls. As well as whatever you would call the small glass or stone border that seems to be more current in todays showers and breaks up the tile design near the top (if that makes sense?) We are also going to replace the mirror/vanity and will be adding some additional lighting to the bathroom.

So I ask for your help, can anybody make some recommendations on a setup that will increase the value and help sell the condo? I'm open to any ideas and links to specific tiles or ideas would be appreciated, if possible.

Not sure how to add more than one attachment on here so I'm just posting the pics on imgur, hope that doesn't violate any rules. I keep rotating the pics but they go back to sideways...sorry about that also. Can somebody let me know how to embed these so people don't have to copy/paste? Doesn't seem to be working with the Img URL button up top.

http://imgur.com/cU9jA
http://imgur.com/cU9jA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChrisF1,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigralady
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this is one of those times that pictures make things look better than they do in real life, but I find your bath to be OK in general from the one pic.

Having said that - I too like the darker tiles, black and gray. We too are working on finding tile... My husband's opinion is that glossy tiles appear more sleak and dressy and provide an element of reflective quality that makes the bath space look larger.

For resale, the condition and cleanliness of the grout is the single biggest issue for me. I also want minimal grout lines so we will be using a Weide backing on walls and floors and using the new no sand, flexible grout (Quartzlok II) in a color that coordinates but dark enough to not show dirt with a VERY thin line. Until we found these two products I did not want tile (we currently have black glossy small subway tile with white grout that we are replacing due to a leak, the grout cracks and a few cracks in the tile themselves due to age of 26 yrs).

We are now looking at larger rectangular tiles. But haven't agreed yet on whether they should be stacked or staggered, vertical or horizontal. We are leaning towards the same tile on the walls and floor. I would like to include a stainless steel mosaic tile design element in the shower - either a horizontal line or one vertical line right up the middle.

With your white tub being prominent in a small bath, I would try to limit color choices to include white tile in the layout - e.g. a diamond corner?? Or a horizontal/vertical line? My rule is no more than 3 colors and white is definitely one of those IMO, but that's just me.

If I could justify the cost, I would choose slabs of granite or quartz instead of tile with no grout lines and the ultimate luxury look IMO.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post