Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  bathroom countertops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bathroom countertops Sign In/Join 
posted
We are going to replace our bathroom countertops. What do you have and what are pros and cons? Does anyone have granite, and if so, is there a problem with staining (hairspray, etc.)? I don't know what options I have as I haven't been to a showroom yet.

Posts: 185 | Location: Freeland, MI | Registered: Jan 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
One piece molded sink and counter is what I prefer as it has a clean/uncluttered look. For me, easier to clean the area than a drop in sink with a rim. If I did choose granite, then I would opt for an under mounted sink, for the same reason.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have white Statuary marble in one bathroom and ceramic tile in the other. I find them both quite easy to keep clean. Both have been treated with the appropriate sealers. Solid surface and granite are probably the two easiest to maintain but we couldn't find the colors we wanted. Visit a tile showroom-avoid the box stores-and borrow samples to bring home. When you narrow down the styles and colors you like. get online and research what kind of upkeep you can expect for each product.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jan 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calcareous stones - limestone, marble, travertine, etc - are composed of, well, calcium, and as such, are chemically fragile. This means they won't hold up well if you're interested in maintaining a glassy, polished finish. This isn't always an issue, as many folks will live with etches and scratches, accepting that as part of the material.

If those materials get stains, however, they may not hold up to aggressive stain removal either.

Granite tends to hold up far better.

Engineered stone tends to hold up well, too.

Check out this link for some ideas:
http://chicagostoneshop.com/gallery/

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I like an integral sink, when the sink and countertop are one piece of material.
As far as what kind of material, whatever's easiest to clean and upkeep. I like old-fashioned cultured marble too, it comes in many colors.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7301 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow,

That looks like something I've seen in the men's bathroom at Wrigley Field.

And it wasn't the sink.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
EWWWW....LOL!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7301 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vixenhouse
posted Hide Post
I like that sink, never seen one like it before.

Posts: 56 | Location: Okla/Vermont | Registered: May 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that sink Just love it

Posts: 351 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royben
posted Hide Post
Its an awesome sink as it has good faucets and cabinets. Granite Countertops makes your bathroom looks bigger, clean and beautiful.

Posts: 1 | Location: 28 Wendlin Ln, Palm Coast, FL 32164 | Registered: Aug 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a granite slab which matches the tile in my shower. It's been sealed and it's easy to keep clean. Go to a stone dealer with a showroom, take home samples and see what you like. Ask about what has to be sealed and how to clean it. A good dealer should be able to discuss not only pricing but upkeep as well. I would steer clear of the big box stores.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes of course. You can also search online for some samples.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Natineah,

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is also my question when I did started to bought my own house, since there are many things to choose, especially in kitchen, bathroom, etc. I think granite counter tops would be a great choice for bathroom, since it is strong, solid, reliable. Since mine is granite also, it was installed by cumar. I think before you decide on what to select, you should consider this..what do you need to consider first and foremost when thinking about a bathroom countertop? Durability, stain resistance, water resistance and cost are generally the main factors you’ll want to note.

Posts: 1 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post