Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bath tub glazing Sign In/Join 
Picture of HappyCyn
posted
I have a bathtub that I love. Just the right height to get into. I want to change the color. My husband said buy I say regalze. Need advice. I just don't like the new tubs. There are not as strong.

Posts: 100 | Location: Baldwin,NY,US | Registered: Nov 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The cost is going to similar to a new tub, (minus the mess and additional work of demo to get the old one out and new in).

Be aware that the new finish is more than likely an epoxy painted finish, applied with many coated sprays. Use of paint-safe, non-acid and non-abrasive cleaners will then be required. (And when we had it done it really, really stunk chemically until it airs out/dries)

Since you want a color change too, the life of the new finish is going to probably be shorter. We did white over white, and eventually there is some wear near the drain. With a color change that would be unacceptable.

I would opt to replace...especially if you plan to be in this house for 5 or more years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HappyCyn
posted Hide Post
Thank you Conrad. My husband agrees with you

Posts: 100 | Location: Baldwin,NY,US | Registered: Nov 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I agree - replace. My friend had her tub reglazed and hates that she can't use her regular cleaners on it any more (Magic Eraser) as it will damage the new finish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jewel,

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HappyCyn
posted Hide Post
Thank you My husband and I are leaning towrds abath refitter in.
Cindy

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Just sayin' the former owner reglazed his yellow tub to white to sell...he actually GUTTED the entire bathroom but left 1950's tub....soooooooo after about 7 years it looks rather poorly we reglazed, but it's like layers of paint or fingernail polish...anything dropped chips after a few years and cleaners don't do the job like a baked on finish. So with my redo it's no question...that tub has to GO! Smile Opting for a big shower instead! Big Grin

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7321 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post