Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  Help! I'm completely stumped choosing a paint colour for my bath
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! I'm completely stumped choosing a paint colour for my bath Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi everyone,

My husband and I moved into our home two and a half years ago. The kitchen and bath were already renovated before we moved in. Our bathroom, though not my particular aesthetic, is nice and doesn't warrant a renovation just to fit our taste especially since we may be moving again in another couple of years.

I've finally gotten around to putting my own personal touches around the house by painting, etc. However, the bathroom has me completely stumped. The walls are white and crying out for a paint job but the slate tile on the floor and the shower is a colour that I'm having a hard time complementing with paint. It's this really dark grey slate tile. I personally love earth tones and would love to find a colour that would go witht he theme of the rest of my house but not clash with the tile in the bathroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions for potential paint colours? I've included a link to an example of the tile we have.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FalleavesMD,

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think something in the gray family, or a nice, pale sage or leaf green would look nice. Maybe even a buttercream?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Grey slate would fit great in a spa like theme. Pebbles in glass decor..small soaps in another. Candle on dish surrounded with pebbles...are some ideas. Light spa blue or green sage for wall color. White shower curtain. White shag rug. Rolled towels on a shelf in blue, sage and whites. Gray and white towels can hang from the towel rack.

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I like a terra cotta color with the grey.

Posts: 257 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the color of the walls is the only issue you need to handle. You need to get some other elements involved, perhaps some bathroom accessory sets and then complement the wall color with the color of these items.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you like greens, may I suggest Benjamin Moore's aura paint color "Spa" - it's a very soft green, but depending on the lighting, other decor colors, it takes on different hues. or, if you can find any extra tiles, take them to a Ben Moore or SW store and ask one of the reps for help.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally love earth tones and would love to find a colour that would go witht he theme of the rest of my house but not clash with the tile in the bathroom

It would help to know what the "theme of the rest of my house" is.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigralady
posted Hide Post
In my mind, slate often includes rusty or orange lines/tints. How about an apricot or peach color to rust color theme? Is there one wall that a darker color would work on (rust) with a lighter more neutral apricot on other walls in same hue?

Orange is a hot fashion color this year. My favorite combo in the garden right now is apricot and red.

Personally, I would love a warm gray in the same hue as the floor but I understand everyone has their own favorites.

Other suggestions are good too, but personally I would stay away from white unless you really love contrast. Whether cream, or green, or... I would want enough color to minimize the contrast to a level I was comfortable with.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigralady
posted Hide Post
One more thought, hue is more important than the color choice. Does the slate have undertones of blue, green, brown etc because grays are tricky and sometimes hard to tell the undertone until you place something against it that contrasts enough to say - oh, that's too bluish, or that's too brownish, or that's too greenish... My whole house is gray, and sometimes I'm fooled by the undertone until I put something directly against it (in different lighting conditions) that eventually shows me the blue or green or...

Then even after choosing a color chip that I think has the correct hue, I still paint a sample on the wall and watch it for a week or so before deciding.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post