Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV BathDesign
  Replace or refinish tub?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace or refinish tub? Sign In/Join 
posted
We are going to redo our bathroom and our tub either has to be replaced or be refinished. We aren't having any problems with our current tub, it's just worn looking. Any opinions on if we should have the tub refinished or if we should replace it? My husband and I would be doing the replacing if this is the route we go. I'm afraid that if we refinish, it won't last long and if we replace, it'll be a major construction DIY disaster. I attached a pic so you can see what we're up against. I believe the walls are plaster, and we are replacing the tiles with vinyl beadboard around the tub.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
From personal experience, I would replace it. Especially if this is a bath you use quite a bit and it sounds like you are doing the entire bath anyway. We had ours resurfaced/painted and it is fine...but still an old tub.

If you are going to be removing the tiles and redoing the bathroom...then replace the tub, possibly the drain lines, and replace plumbing fixtures also. Just makes good sense in the long run.

(the cost of having a tub professionally repainted is often equal to the cost of a new tub) And with resurfacing, one has to be very careful of cleaners and abrasives/acids that can damage the paint.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the price to have it done professionally. I don't think it's something you want to try yourself. The finish is very touchy the first few weeks and can be easily damaged until it cures completely. In most cases the savings isn't worth it.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jan 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your old tub is not in problem then why you would replace with new tub so according to my view i refinished the tub.I am not getting to see the real picture where your problem is existing so i will not give exact solution .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HGTVAdmin,

Posts: 5 | Location: NY, USA | Registered: Jan 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Our professionally refinished tub lasted for decades.
We recently totally remodeled the main bath and the tub was replaced; the finish had started to go.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a refinished tub in a rental, that was done about seven years ago. It's been well kept, but looks just a little dingy now, regardless of what is used to clean it with. It looked good for about five years.

The two tenants over the years have both been very clean.

The tub was refinished before I was in the picture, can't say what the process was.

I think a designer could tell you more about your particular tub's desirability from a design/market point of view, but if it were my place, and I were replacing the wall tiles anyway, my personal preference would be to replace it.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post