Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   The Antonio Treatment
  Absolutely Awful
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Absolutely Awful Sign In/Join 
posted
This guy is a catastrophe in the world of decor; even in the world of funky decor. I've watched at least five of his shows and each one was a study in cheap and ugly designs. He is not imaginative and creative; he's a disaster. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe he's on the air.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a good show if you want to redecorate a garage or some other place in the house that is not visible to the public

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
I just caught an episode on "On Demand" in which he made over a couple's bedroom in an "Asian inspired" design. Well, it came out looking like a cross between the boudoir of an Asian madam circa 1925 and the Chinese restaurant I ate in as a child in the Bronx back in the 1960s, complete with tacky wall mural. Unbelievable! Yuck If I didn't think he was serious I'd think he was joking!

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Design Star
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm so happy someone else said this! I think so too!

I was afraid I was the only one!

Posts: 2626 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: Nov 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out there and not in a good way.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing how the only Design Star winner that has become a success on HGTV is David....

If the winners of the show are doing so badly on TV when when they actually get their own show, I wonder why the judges are still basically the same?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched an episode where he did a master bedroom for a couple and did this weird glow in the dark wall. Considering that the woman was a model and actress and probably had lots of clothes, he still did'nt bother putting in any decent closet space. The room was all special effects for the camera and no practical design or storage.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. Looking at all of his TATS should give a person a clue as to what is coming! Awful, unliveable design.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ladylavender
posted Hide Post
go back to your boring beige boards with candice, please. antonio is inventive and daring... if you don't like designers with tats then bromstad is lousy too

Posts: 185 | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with tattoos or things being unconventional. There is something really awful about not making things beautifully functional. To take a large bedroom with minimal closet space and to leave it with minimal closet space is poor design. To create an entire wall that requires elaborate lighting and will be next to impossible to fix if the bulbs go out is poor design. To not increase the sense of light in a room is bad design. To go into a space with a preconceived notion of some cool thing you've wanted to do without really evaluating if it makes sense for that space is bad design.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually like a couple of his designs. You must admit some of the ideas are genious. But for every genious move there may be a cheaper move with paint. I personally think he may be working with the budget given. Because some touches are very expensive mixed with very cheap looking paint jobs.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would still prefer T.A.T. to be renewed over shows like Dina's Party or D.D.D. Antonio's style is nothing like mine, neither is Emily's or the Novogratzs', but they all strike me as creative people, not just shoppers.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You dont like Emilys? I think shes very good. Novogratzs can go. They need to up Antonios budget. Bring Vern Yip back on a regular show.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Vern's design, but spare me these "deserving" recipient concepts. I don't watch HGTV for that. I watch for design.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Design Star is fun to watch, but I haven't really liked any of the winners' shows. Perhaps they should just give them a cash award or something. And I agree that Antonio is the worst yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beim4,

Posts: 101 | Registered: May 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one show I don't watch as I couldn't
get any ideas from him. I guess there are people that like him since he is still on the air, but, I wouldn't let him makeover anything in my house, that's for sure.

Posts: 1082 | Location: LAS VEGAS | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeanQ
posted Hide Post
I'm not into this guy either. I do love, love, love the Property Brothers.
Most of the other newer designers and shows don't really interest me. It's almost like the HGTV network doesn't care what the viewer want to see. All the Crasher shows are good. I miss Real-estate Intervention with Sabrina and Mike.
Did someone get jealous of Clive Pearce? I loved Clive as a host.

I guess I was wrong. There have been no more new shows. It was just wishful thinking on my part. I still can't understand why they would cancel their best show.

Posts: 17 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: Feb 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of frenchcountrycosy
posted Hide Post
The moment he won I said yuck. The few shows I managed to force down made me say yuck. I saw him on an episode of LA ink and he was downright rude when referring to his former competitors.Everything about this guy makes me say yuck - which begs the question of why he is still on HGTV???

dum spiro,spero.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gloranger:
This guy is a catastrophe in the world of decor; even in the world of funky decor. I've watched at least five of his shows and each one was a study in cheap and ugly designs. He is not imaginative and creative; he's a disaster. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe he's on the air.

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, I hate his designs...he couldn't design my dog house ...they are ugly and very strange I have not seen one that I just loved or even liked>

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frenchcountrycosy:
The moment he won I said yuck. The few shows I managed to force down made me say yuck. I saw him on an episode of LA ink and he was downright rude when referring to his former competitors.Everything about this guy makes me say yuck - which begs the question of why he is still on HGTV???

I watched his show a few times when there was nothing else on but that was enough for me. Novogratz don't really do it for me, either. Emily's shows just aren't my style. I just don't like the way she puts things together.

My favorites would be Designed to Sell with John Gidding's renovations. He's really innovative and I love his work on Curb Appeal: TheBlock, I think Shop This Room will be another good show. I liked both semi-finalists on the most recent Design Star but Danielle was my favorite. Kitchen Cousins has been inconsistent for me, too. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's different. I wouldn't let him into my house to decorate, but, I'm sure there is a market out there for his type of work.

Posts: 1082 | Location: LAS VEGAS | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything he does, stinks. What a lousy excuse for a designer.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I think I used to like some parts of a few of his designs. I can't even remember them any more...its been so lone since I have seen any of his shows.

I do think he does very good Halloween designs.

Posts: 1463 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post