Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Idea for extra counter -not being used
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idea for extra counter -not being used Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi ! My boyfriend currently owns a home and we are in the process of redoing EVERYTHING starting with the kitchen. His cousin and her family of 6 live with him temporarily and do not have the same organizational skills as we do which can get frustrating. There is a counter that is currently not being used besides having it collect their papers. It's as tall as a "bar table" and there are chairs on both sides (it comes out of the wall) so my idea was making it a mock bar table for extra seating for the time being so they don't their mail, groceries, papers etc. anyone have other suggestions??

Posts: 2 | Location: Bergen County, Nj | Registered: Jul 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea. Not sure what suggestions you are looking for, however?

One way to avoid some of the mail, magazine and other stuff is to have a shelf below the counter or have the counter raised to create a shallow shelf below. This can be a hidden spot for some necessary evil items like mentioned above, and still can keep the counter clear.

I also do have issue with people who tend to regularly use cleaned table or counters to stack things like mail, newspapers and just junk in general that does not belong there. If it bugs me enough, I just stack it all up and drop it on the floor somewhere. DH gets the message pretty fast.Wink

Posts: 9435 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post