Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Choosing new kitchen range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing new kitchen range Sign In/Join 
posted
Has anyone seen the new slide in electric ranges? They are popping up in stores (HH Gregg, Lowe's) but I don't know how well they'll go over when I sell my house. Without the upper part of the range - control panel - it seems grease, sauce, etc...would be all over the backsplash and involve constant cleaning.
My backsplash is stone tile, not granite, and even though it is sealed I think this kind of range would end up being messy.

Any thoughts? Would this turn you off if you were a buyer?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this any different than the slide-in ranges that have been around for years? They were developed for peninsula or island use but are used elsewhere as people like the front controls.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these any different than cooktops or range tops that slide into an island? I have a combination 4 unit and another single unit cooktop in an island and double ovens in a wall cabinet. My controls are next to the burners on top of the island.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Is this any different than the slide-in ranges that have been around for years? They were developed for peninsula or island use but are used elsewhere as people like the front controls.

I think maybe so. It's a regular range except that it doesn't have the controls at the back of the unit. There just doesn't seem to be much in the way of venting, so I'm worried grease may end up on my tile. Don't know if someone else would like the potential cleaning. With a regular range at least the sauce/gravy/whatever tends to end up on the control panel.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked on line and they are same style as was available 40 years ago. It is no harder to clean a wall than a stove back. That is if it has washable surface.

It would not bother me in a house I was looking at. I prefer the controls in the front. What does bother me is a stove or cooktop that is not the standard 30 inches. That means I would have to redo the cabinets to replace a simple range. I have rejected a house because they had an oversized stove. It was not the only reason but it was a major one.

Posts: 7099 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping over the spammer