Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Range Oven versus Double Ovens w/Cooktop?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Oven versus Double Ovens w/Cooktop? Sign In/Join 
posted
We are moving into a new home where we will be doing a kitchen remodel. We went looking at appliances and saw some beautiful Range Ovens. They are pricey, but look so wonderful!

I'm just trying to get my head around using a range oven and the function of it. The one we were looking at was Thermador (full size convection oven on one side and smaller steam/convection oven on other side).

If you have a range oven, do you love it? Why did you choose that over double ovens with a cooktop, or visa versa?

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think the comparable quality ranges are always less expensive (one unit when compared to cook top and separate oven or two). Plus they seem to be all rather standard width sizes, so years down the road you (or another owner) won't be having to tear out cabinets and counters to make a new/replacement oven or cook top fit the space.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you mean by a range oven. A range is all in one unit with the cooktop and oven combined.

An oven is a separate unit.

I'm just confused.

Posts: 6733 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metwo, the OP is considering a cooktop with separate double ovens (over/under)but then saw a range (freestanding) with double ovens (2 side by side). I had one of these several years ago. I bought it most for looks, just because it matched the look I wanted for my kitchen (wish I had a pic) it was an old house (built 1887) but I wanted a up-to-date functional kitchen. The one small oven concerned me, but it was never an issue in actual use. I only need a second oven for holidays and it was fine. I also loved the look of it, mine had a warming rack on top, still wish I had that now.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Many of the new ranges do have a separate small oven above the larger lower oven. (Sometimes it is just a warming oven, but I personally would opt for an actual full temp oven...so you have two)

The small oven is nice for pizza, casserole, baked potatoes, pan of cookies or anything that fits, where heating up the large oven is not necessary or more of a waste of energy.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post