HGTV Message Boards
Painting Kitchen Countertop?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/8913994067

Jun 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
weg326
Painting Kitchen Countertop?
Has anyone ever tried this. I saw the website gianigranite.com and it looks good...maybe a little too good? I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on this before I try it
Jun 23, 2012, 04:35 PM
metwo
There was a post, a couple months back, where someone had used the rustoleum system. You might want to search for that thread.
Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
SteelerinMD
I used the Giani Granite last fall - it is much more realistic than the rustoleum product. I'm planning on using it again on a bath vanity very soon. The Giani customer service is excellent! There are how-to videos on their website. A few suggestions from my experience before starting: 1. check amazon.com for more reviews, I think one of the reviewers listed his 10-12 "tips", it was extremely helpful. 2. there are many Giani how-to videoes, reviews, and user demos posted on youtube, so check those out as well. 3. The kit will come with a sheet of black practice paper, you can get more from a craft store. 4. I had the countertop & island - I did the island first, after applying the sealer I let it "cure" for 5 days before using it, then I worked on the rest of the countertop. The kit took my green laminate and now it looks exactly like the "rosa grey" silestone pattern. 5. get samples from your local big box store so you have a pattern to follow. 6. I also added in Plain craft paint as paint flecks. 7. check out Giani's facebook page, there are lots of user's before/after photos. Good luck!
Jun 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
metwo
SteelerinMD, thanks for posting your experience. It sounds more controlled and thus easier to use than the Rustoleum.
Jun 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
SteelerinMD
you're welcome! Forgot to mention, besides practicing, after you are "done", give it a day or two before applying the sealer/top coat. This will give you a chance to view your work at different times during the day, then touch up any areas as needed. if you don't like it, just re-apply the primer coat & start over. I applied 3 coats of the top coat, light sand between each coat, but I think 1-2 coats is sufficient. have fun!
Jun 26, 2012, 06:46 AM
weg326
sounds good! I'm definitely going to keep this in mind as we update our kitchen.
Jun 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
weg326
Thank you for the tips! This sounds good. I'm definitely going to keep it in mind!
Aug 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
jd47
SteelerinMD... How is the counter tops holding up concerning everyday use...can you clean them in the usual manner...I assume you need to be careful about cutting anything on the counter tops...what about putting a fairly hot pot ot pan on the surface?

I saw this done on the DIY channel, and now I am thinking of doing this...I won't have a problem with the 'artisitic' part, just wondering if you can use the countertops like you did before the 'paint' job?

Thanks
Aug 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
SteelerinMD
jd47 - I painted my countertop in Nov 2011 - it's held up great - no chipping, no peeling, no scratches, etc. I use a non-abrasive cleaner to wipe down the surface (I use either 409 or simple green). I have always used cutting boards. I have put down cookies sheets on the painted tops for a few minutes, didn't notice any problems. I've heard some users complaining of peeling on other message boards, but then they have admitted to "skimping" during the prep, or carving the Thanksgiving turkey without a cutting board. I spent a lot of time sanding the area first, so I'm sure that has a big effect on the outcome. Giani's customer service was very helpful, I did call them before purchasing with quite a few questions. I am just finishing up the hall/guest bath vanity - it was a beige cultured marble top, just used Giani's chocolate brown colors, and also the new Giani cabinet paint in "coccoa couture". I will be applying the sealer tomorrow! Hope my response helps!
Aug 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
jd47
Yes indeed...your reply is appreciated and very helpful...thnks so much.
It's always good to get a 'review' from someone not biased...I always think the customer reviews on the products web site might be just the good ones!!
Who would carve a turkey on ANY countertop without using a cutting board...I always use one, regardless. I use Lysol Kitchen cleaner for day to day cleaning of the countertops and use something like Greased Lightning for a good clean about once a month...nothing abrasive for sure.

I do beleive I'm going to try this after I get my cabninets done...I was going to paint & stain, but now I am also looking at the Giani Cabinet refacing product...their directions state you do not need to remove the doors (which is something you have to do if you use the Rustolium Refacing kits)...and I see you have used the Giani on your bathroom cabinet.

I do wish they had more colors to choose from...I would think for the counter tops you could buy two different color kits and use both creating more color in your pattern?

How did you like using their cabinet color kit?

Any other info/tips would be appreciated...especially for the cabinets.

Thanks again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jd47,
Aug 25, 2012, 05:06 PM
SteelerinMD
jd47 - you're welcome! As for the Giani cabinet paint, I think it's very new, just came out at the beginning of summer. I did not remove the vanity cabinet doors, but honestly I think it would have been easier if I had removed them. I left the door open after painting, but didn't realize it was too close to the door frame, so I ended up with brown paint on on the white door trim. lesson learned/user error. You will need to leave the doors/drawers open after painting so it can dry, so plan accordingly. I would suggest getting a few small foam/sponge brushes to get into the little areas where the door/frame overlap - it's do-able, but cumbersome as I was working in a small area, then had to make another trip to home depot for brushes during the painting project. I only had to use 1 coat of paint, no odor, goes on much better with a foam roller, no streaks. I had minor touch-up work in the crevises of the recessed areas, used a foam/sponge brush. The color was very rich-looking, I'm thinking this would be great to use on my kitchen cabinets. Haven't been able to find other reviews on Giani's cabinet paint yet, but I think the product is too new. On Giani's facebook page, there are about 30+ photos, I think they had some type of contest in which they painted someone's kitchen cabinets- the photos like great. I do think the product is a bit limited in color options, perhaps they will be expanding it in the future. Rustolem cabinet transformation kits does offer more color options, but after reading the instructions for both Giani & Rustolem's products, the Giani cabinet paint won out - easier application, less time, and less **.

Also, if you are going to use Giani's countertop paint, do the edge-painting last as you will be leaning against it when you paint the surface. another user-error, be sure to cover the painted cabinets before the countertop paint, I had a few drips that I didn't catch, so I just did touch-up with the cabinet paint. Hope this helps!
Aug 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
SteelerinMD
jd47 - from your questions, forgot to answer - yes, you can buy individual cans of the countertop paint from Giani - I ordered the Sicillian Sand kit, then added an individiual can from the chocolate brown kit. For the bath vanity top, I had leftover paint from the kitchen, but I did add 1 new individual can from the new "white diamond" color. On the website it will list all the kit contents, most have the same base colors, then the kit "color". I also used "flecks" of acrylic paint with an old toothbrush - I think the brand is "Plaid", got it from the nearby craft store-(I used colors in bronze, copper, and a silver metallic color, I think there were approx $1/bottle).

For other cabinet paint colors - you can always use traditional paint/primer. I think ben moore came out with a new line called advance, supposed to be great for cabinetry, woodwork, trim, etc, but I haven't tried it. I think either BM or sherwin williams would have better recommendations.
Aug 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
jd47
SteelerinMD (you must be a Steeler fan living in Maryland!!!)...thanks again...you are so helpful, I really appreciate that.
great to know I can get cans of other colors, and even use the Craft acrylic paints...I like earthy colors and my kitchen has a lot of browns, tans and sort of a brick red color...I'm artistic enough that I know I'll do a good job, and it actually sounds like a fun project.

Yes, in the traditional paint/primers I would go with Sherwin W or Behr...I'll look at the Ben Moore you mentioned...my dad had a paint & wallpaper business when I was growing up in Bklyn. and all they had all Ben Moore products, and when Sherwin W came around, they added that line too.

I wonder if you could use the Giani cabinet paint kits but add a paint from Ben Moore or Sherwin W to the Giani paint...or use a tint in the Giani paint...that might be worth looking into...I'll see if I can find that info at their site or on line someplace...I guess I could call them too.

Thanks...have a great day!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jd47,
Aug 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
jd47
You've been a trendous help...I agree about the Giani being so much easier...in fact, when I first looed at the Rustoleum product, after reading the how to and watching a couple of videos, I decided it wasn't for me...post a couple of photos of your work if you can...
as for the Giani lack of color choices, no doubt they'll come up with more...meantime, knowing I can buy extra in another color that I can mix will probably do the trick.

Thanks, SteelerinMD!!
Aug 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
SteelerinMD
jd47 - I've got some before/after photos of the kitchen & bath vanity, but it won't let me add as attachments - do you have an email?
Aug 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
jd47
HUH, wonder why you can't attach them...bet others in this thread would like to see them too.
Do I want to put my email address in a post? Not too sure about that, Steeler...too bad there isn't private messaging here..or is there?
Aug 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
SteelerinMD
here's a link to both kitchen & bath, hopefully this will work!

http://www.ritzpix.com/mycolle...c&owner=kristin.1994
Aug 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
jd47
yep...it worked...hope some others take a look, steeler because you did an outstanding job!!!
WOW!! I am impressed.
I looked at the counter tops in the 'island' section too...amazing how you matched the store sample just perfectly...you have talent, really.

Thanks a ton...now I need to find a place to buy the kits...I would really like to see the colors for the cabnets in person first...I thought Lowe's had the Giani Nuvo kits, but nooo...neither does Home Depot...we live in a rural area, I have no idea where I can go look before I buy...not sure the colors on the computer screen are accurate...did you order your kits on line?
Aug 27, 2012, 06:46 AM
SteelerinMD
thanks! I ordered my kit online, I think there is a link on giani's site for stores that carry the kit, I recall it was WalMart and smaller "mom & pop" type hardware stores. I've only see home depot & lowes carry the Rustoleum products. The cabinet color I picked was the exact shade as it appeared on the website, but perhaps customer service can send samples, or I'm sure they will accept returns/refunds. Good Luck!
Aug 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
jd47
Good to know the colors you see on their web site are true...that helps. Ya know, I think you're right...I beleive Wal Mart does carry Giani...we do have one ina town close by (Cody)...and there are 2 Wal marts in Billings, MT where the Home Depot & Lowes are located...about 90 miles from me...I'll be there this week, so will check it out...thanks...again!!
Apr 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
Becky42
bump