Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Painted Kitchen Cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painted Kitchen Cabinets Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sunny Daze
posted
I'm curious if anyone has painted dark cherry cabinets white or even a lighter color? I'm contemplating painting our cabinets, but am concerned about the grain or color bleeding through. I spoke with a cabinet refinisher and he expressed to me that this could happen which leaves me questioning if I want to do this at all now.

If you've painted your dark cabinets, how have they held up and how long ago were they done. THanks!

Posts: 2544 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cherry naturally darkens with age, so it would make sense that it would continue to darken even if painted. And if the paint job wasn't spectacular (or enough coats), I could see it eventually changing/showing through somehow.

Of course, I don't understand why you would paint cherry if it is in good condition. The woodworking guys would be apopoletic (sp??).

Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Wow, that seems a little far fetched to me...wood oxidizes with light exposure, so if it's covered with paint, I don't see how it could show through. Knots bleed through, but that's due to resin, not oxidation.

Talk to paint people, not wood people...you might get a different answer.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with belstone. if you prep the surfaces properly, and lay on enough coats of the right kind of paint, you will not have a problem.
you would not have issues with color bleeding through, your issue would be inadequate coverage with the paint.

good luck
bill z

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love wood so I can't imagine painting it but that being said I don't see how you could ever get the paint smooth enough. Without a sprayer, I don't see how to avoid this issue. When I see decorators just slapping on a coat of paint with a brush, I cringe. What about the brush marks? Also the paint would chip easily. When our cabinets were installed they said that they have a significant up charge for painted cabinets since they even chip for professional installers. I would really think a lot about how you can do this and get a good result.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have not done it myself as I like the look of real wood. But my sister-in-law did. GORGEOUS!...in her house. She did a fantastic job.

This is nothing new...it's done quite frequently.
All you need to do is as the two others above mentioned...proper prep.

You might need a light sanding with really fine sandpaper or steel wool between coats depending on the paint you use..

Do your research, talk to paint people.
Good luck!

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about painting but I can suggest you one site for kitchen renovation designs.You can check Kitchen Renovation Services.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post