Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Ceramic vs Porcelain vs Dura Ceramic floor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ceramic vs Porcelain vs Dura Ceramic floor Sign In/Join 
Picture of Ambher
posted
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel, and need to pick the floor. One tile place recommended porcelain over ceramic. Our contractor is suggesting Dura Ceramic floor - but the reviews on-line are terrible. Does anyone have experience with these floors. I have all boys and don't want a delicate floor, they will drop things.

Posts: 212 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Might want to get advice from a local tile store, (not just a flooring department in a box store?) Not familiar with Dura Ceramic.

I opted for a textured, stone colored porcelain tile for our basement bathroom. The color of the surface goes all the way through the tile. If there were ever a chip (highly unlikely with porcelain) it would not be apt to show the way a glazed ceramic tile would. Porcelain tile is hard, and required I used a wet saw for cutting, not just a score and snap for much of the ceramic. Perhaps this is why he recommended it?

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had Dura Ceramic in my kitchen in the past (the only reason I changed it had nothing to do with the product itself), and I presently have it in my bathroom. I like it very much. It is not cold underfoot. Mine is textured so I feel safer when I get out of the tub. My carpenter liked it so much that he installed it in his own kitchen as well.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
Thanks . It was a local tile company that recommended porcelain. I have heard the same thing, color goes all the way thru. Thanks again, this is so overwhelming.

Posts: 212 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read from multiple sources that NOT ALL porcelain is colored all the way through so be sure you see a sample broken open if this is the only reason you are choosing porcelain.

Posts: 6956 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
metwo is right. That is why it is often best to talk to the pros at a tile store and have them show you what to look for and advantages if different tiles. Even if you don't end up buying from them, you will get some education.

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We looked at the product and saw all the terrible reviews online. We opted for porcelain tile. We just didn't want to deal with all the problems that were discussed online.

Posts: 3135 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
That's what we are thinking too. Porcelain doesn't have those complaints. Thanks for everyone's input.

posted Hide Post
You do realize that on-line reviews are very suspect, don't you?

Posts: 3391 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Probably the same can be said for advice given here, sms29.
Wink

posted Hide Post
Porcelain floors are definitely more durable. They are baked at higher temperatures. Make sure your contractor is using better thinset as well as better grout so that it doesn't stain.

Remya Warrior Designs

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Jun 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
conrad, you are so right. We are quick to defend our design choices, but how many us come to these boards to admit our mistakes???? Big Grin

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking my comment the right way. Wink

Each person may have different experiences with the same product/item. I regularly will check on line reviews from retailers, (not reviews on the product website). It can be very revealing for commonly reported issues that one was not aware of, nor considered.

These boards are similar. All we can truthfully share is our own experiences, and possibly any issues to look for. Knowledge is power...as they say. Smile

Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
Yes, to each his own. It depends on your own specific purposes for the room and how much traffic it will get. I am in the middle of a remodel also. I have chosen the Dura Ceramic. It looks like tile, but it warmer. All the reviews for it seem to be fantastic. My boss has it in her kitchen, too. Hope you enjoy your choice...thats the main thing!

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We discussed the online reviews and issues with our flooring store. They confirmed that there were major issues in the past with this type of product. They knew that two major manufacturers had problems and had made some changes. They also said that they didn't have problems recently but that porcelain tile didn't have this type of issue. After all that, we decided against using either the Congoleum or the Armstrong product.

Posts: 3135 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of Dura Ceramic either so I can't comment on that. I have Porcelain in our Master Bathroom, on the floor as well as the counters. I love it. I had it layed so you really can't see the grout lines and it's just beautiful. The color is through and through, so if something is dropped you don't have an underlying color showing as a result of a chip, and that's very attractive to me. That would be a plus in the kitchen. In Florida, having something under your feet that is cool is very inviting most of the year.

Posts: 941 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for you input. There is so much information out there it just seems overwhelming at times. My DH is set on the tried and true - Porcelain - and we live in Va Beach, and a cool floor sounds wonderful to me too.