Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Opening kitchen & living room to each other
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening kitchen & living room to each other Sign In/Join 
Picture of Michelle_
posted
This didn't get a lot of response on general decorating, so I thought I would see how it does here.

http://kitcwallproj.shutterfly.com/

We just removed drywall to get a feel for how it would look-before making a permanent decision. It isn't a load bearing wall, but the bottom half needs to stay because it has a vent there. There would be a snack placed on living room side. Flooring is going to be replaced and be the same for living room, kitchen and dining areas. The island can stay or we can get a larger cabinet/penninsula.

Posts: 512 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If it were my kitchen, I would opt for a LARGE island base where the wall is to be removed. If you want a knee recessed snack area it can still go on the living room side or even the kitchen side.

Opening up the kitchen to easy/open traffic back and forth to work areas, instead of small walkways around the island seems be better, for me anyway.

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
The entire wall can come out. here's the problem. The return air vent would need to be moved, probably into the floor. 2 lights swithces and a thermostat would have to be re-routed. The cost is much. much higher. Say in my perfect world, cost didn't matter, the big thing for me, it is completely open and I am not sure if I would like it. I tried finding inspiration pics, but nothing similiar to my floor plan can be found.

Posts: 512 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Guess I don't see as big an issue here as you do?

The thermostat and switches/outlets are really fairly easy to move. A large fixed island base with storage under, could still be used in the area, and the return vent could be vented to the living room through the base of the island.
(snorkle the existing vent out a bit further?)

You are definitely committed to some change, and in the scheme of things these are probably just a couple hundred dollars of changes, especially with re-routing the wiring yourself.

Another idea? Upper cabinets placed back to back on a 2x4 base can make handy storage and support under a large island.

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
What about this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r...2927161832/lightbox/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com...73265_a86095ebce.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michelle_,

posted Hide Post
I would say no to the cabinets over the island. Had that years ago. Good storage but blocks the view and is a head banger. If you put it high enough so you don't hit your head then you can't reach the storage.

Also it makes it look like the living room is in the kitchen rather then next to it. It defeats the open look you are going for.

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree with metwo, and would not want to have the upper cabinets hung from ceiling above. Open space is much nicer for view, spaciousness and light distribution.

Just to clarify, in the above post I was referring to using taller, upper (matching) cabinets used on the floor as a base support for an island (not ceiling hung cabinets).