HGTV Message Boards
HELP Need idea's for a odd Kitchen layout

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/8533971167

Jul 14, 2012, 10:58 PM
DIYerMama
HELP Need idea's for a odd Kitchen layout
My hubby and I just bought an 120 year old house so ALL the rooms are almost completely square. We have a galley kitchen so there's no chance of opening it up. I need some help on the layout of cabinets, stove, counter space, etc. Basically the water HAS to stay on one wall because that's where it is and it would be wayy to much trouble to move because the house is so old and all the walls are plaster and really hard to get into. To the left of the stove there is a door leading into the dining room which we are turning half into a pantry/utility room, so that door has to stay as well. The wall to the right of the water wall has a pantry door and a back door, so no chance of putting any cabinets or counters on that wall, it is what it's going to always be. The wall to the right of that has nothing. No cabinets, no counters, nothing, except for a window. So I COULD put those things on that wall only problem is it is directly across from the sink, stove, and dishwasher..so I wouldn't really be able to utilize any of that counter space for cooking, prepping, etc. To the right of the empty wall is another empty wall. BUT it is the wall that leads to the backyard so we are putting french doors in the middle of that wall. So that kind of get's rid of that wall for most of the counter/cabinet space. We are planning to put in an island with a pot rack so that eliminates SOME of the counter/cabinet issue, but not all of it. I need HELP! My kitchen is not small per-say, but it is awkward, although almost a complete square.. The water wall, because there has to be the sink and dishwasher AND stove, there really isn't any room for counter space, maybe a little, but not much. I wanted to move the stove to another wall..but that requires moving gas lines and we could do that..but I'm not sure where to put it.. I did consider putting a counter top stove on the island, but then that eliminates any counter space on the island which I really think I am going to need and also I have a fairly new stove top/oven and don't really want to spend the money on a new one. I have NEVER remodeled a kitchen before and I would love some ideas..If anyone has any input it would REALLY help!!

The picture I've included is the one we got when we were buying the house, so yes, it's empty now. The wall directly in front of the picture taker is the wall we are going to put the french doors on. The wall to the left is the empty wall, the wall to the right is the water wall. You will see the stove on the water wall, the utility room doorway to the left, and on the right of the stove is where the sink will be and the dishwasher will go to the right of the sink. Directly behind the picture taker is the wall with the back door, pantry door, and picture taker is standing in the doorway leading into the foyer. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. Keep in mind that sink and dishwasher I'm pretty sure will have to stay put. I don't see a way around that. I have no idea where to put my refrigerator, stove, or more counter space. OH and the room is about 15.5 by 13.5. Thanks for taking the time to read all this if you did Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DIYerMama,

Kitchen 1

Jul 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
Chuck Steak
If the house has a basement, which it probably would being so old, the water can easily be moved almost anywhere. The plaster walls are not a factor because any new lines would come up behind the sink cabinets and would only need rough finishing. Make the layout whatever you want it to be and don't be afraid to relocate a door or two if it makes the space more usable. The most efficient layout is to have the stove and sink in the same run; having the dishwasher between them gives you at least a two foot counter space where you'd be doing 90% of your food preparation.
Jul 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
metwo
Just so you know... that is not a galley kitchen. It might be called a farmhouse kitchen or maybe just a kitchen kitchen Smile

I point this out because it will help you search. I would first search on the internet for kitchen plans. Search house plans for a kitchen of the same size (about). It will give you some ideas.
This one is from http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-m...etail.esi?oid=482278

This is a house plan:
http://www.houseplanguys.com/4...plans-2-garage-33117

Then get out some graph paper and do your own design. That will at least get you started.
Jul 16, 2012, 12:51 AM
DIYerMama
Thank you! I didn't even think of putting the dishwasher between the stove and sink..haha I don't know why I didn't but that is a very good idea and would most definitely give me more counter space. As for calling it a galley kitchen, I just thought that meant if it was cutoff from the rest of the house, it's not, I mean it's a part of the house, just in the back. Thanks for the input, Good ideas! Smile
Jul 16, 2012, 12:53 AM
DIYerMama
OH and no, unfortunately it does not have a basement. Not really sure why it doesn't, but it does not. It has a decent size crawl space, so we could move water lines, but when we bought the house my husband spent a good deal of time under there REPLACING ALL the water lines with PEX because the original lines were ALL busted..all of them. SO needless to say he is not to excited about moving them again just cause I don't like where they are lol so I'm kinda stuck where they are. And we are sheetrocking over the plaster.
Jul 16, 2012, 01:28 AM
Chuck Steak
Moving PEX is easier than moving any other kind of piping. Crawl space work is not comfortable, but an hour or so under there can make a huge difference when it comes to living with years of a bad design.
Jul 16, 2012, 07:34 AM
metwo
Could you post a diagram showing the footprint of your kitchen? It would make it easier to help.

P.S. A galley kitchen is one where all the cabinets/appliances are on parallel walls with the end walls being open or having nothing on them. They vary in width. Just thought you would like to know Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,
Jul 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
DIYerMama
Ok I understand what a Galley kitchen is now Smile Thanks..mine is definitely not a galley kitchen..I would consider it farmhouse I guess..or just kitchen kitchen lol anyways, I will try and make up a diagram for the kitchen and try and get the dimensions right. The sites you posted earlier with the range top on as the island with counter next to it was brilliant!
Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
DIYerMama
Here is a screenshot of my kitchen from a virtual room designer. Hopefully this is what you mean, this is pretty much exactly how it looks now. Stove and sink included. Dimensions are almost exact including placement of doors and windows. Let me know what you think, Thanks Smile

Jul 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
metwo
Lets call the top of the diagram north just so we are talking the same thing.

The french door, will it call(sorry, I mean go. The phone rang about there so call was on my mind. How stupid!!) on the north wall or the west wall.

The plumbing is that on the east wall? That window on the south wall closest to the east... it is at least 2' from the east wall?

Went back and read your first post again and now I am confused (not an unusual condition). Are the doors on the south the pantry and back door? How do you enter the kitchen from the house?

Jul 16, 2012, 06:19 PM
DIYerMama
The french doors are going on the north wall where the window is. The west wall has one window, as I said, it's the empty wall with just a window and it faces the side of the house, which is our driveway. The east wall is the wall with the gas and the water where you can see the stove and sink cabinet. The south wall is where the back door is (technically not a "back door" it goes into the entry way which leads to the front yard, we don't use it as the front door right now) the middle door is the pantry door, and door all the to the right is the door way opening that leads into the foyer/hallway that leads the to the stairs and our "front door". That is how you enter the kitchen from the house.
Jul 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
DIYerMama
The south wall has no window, only those doors. The "back door" is maybe 3-4 feet from the east wall. But because the house was built with no bathroom, the drain is in the corner between the south and east wall. We are going to hide it with drywall diagonally, not really any way around that. It's a 4 inch metal drain pipe.
Jul 17, 2012, 02:06 AM
Chuck Steak
Just run the cabinets from the sink/stove wall all the way to the corner using a spacer or fake panel to hide your pipe or put a tall pantry type cabinet there and cut out its shelves around the pipe.
Jul 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
metwo
Okay, here is my ideas, so far Smile

Do not center that door as it will leave a lot of wasted wall space. From the west wall leave 2½-3' and then put in your door. That leaves enough space for standard kitchen lower cabinets on the west wall and should leave you enough room for the frig and counter space.

Use ChuckSteak's idea for the water wall. The distance from the frig to the stove, to sink and then back to the frig should be 12-26 feet with no island in the way, (search for kithcen work triangle)

You may want to do a wall of storage on the west wall.

Then you have plenty of room for an island which will give you all sorts of storage space if you use base cabinets all around. And maybe even room for a small table (do you want one?)

What do you think of the ideas so far? Not what you are looking for or are they helping a bit? Need anymore tips or are you set now?

Take a look at his from a cabinet manufactuer. You would look at a L shape kitchen.
http://www.merillat.com/plan-y...le-layout/index.html

Jul 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
DIYerMama
Those are great ideas and yes they are helping very much. My husband and I were just discussing today some of the ideas you have both given us and they are very helpful Smile As for the the placement of the French doors, I completely agree because I would like to get maybe a corner base cabinet if I can fit one or maybe just a corner wall cabinet on the north and west wall and maybe build a desk in that corner.. and maybe a few more wall cabinets. So that's settled and I'm very happy with that. As for the sink and the stove, were going with the sink next to the stove but a little distance in between for some counter space, all still on the east wall and then some small drawer cabinets to the right of the sink for some more counter space. The dishwasher is going to go in the island along with maybe a 30" or 36" inch cabinet and we are going to build a raised bar on the backside of it with some bar stools for eating (eliminating the need for a table, which we probably won't have room for anyways) The fridge will go on the north wall alongside the french doors and a cabinet that will fit next to that. I'm not super thrilled about the placement of the fridge but with the pantry door on the east wall next to the stove, I can't shove the fridge all the way up against that wall as it would block some of the doorway, so I will have to live with the fridge there, I'm OK with that. With the dishwasher out of the way in the island, it opens up a lot more possibilities of space and cabinets. So with all that said, Thank you VERY much for all your input and ideas and I will definitely probably be back for more ideas later...we have an ENTIRE house to remodel Smile Just finished the bathroom and living room so hallway, stairs, and bedrooms are next!
Jul 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
DIYerMama
OH and anymore ideas or thoughts are welcomed Big Grin
Jul 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
metwo
Sounds like you are coming along nicely.

Some time in the future let me know how the dishwasher across from the island works. I've considered that but always wondered about dripping water on the floor. (I am such a slobSmile )

Have another thought but will post later
Jul 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
DIYerMama
I've considered that but I'm really weird about my floors haha I'm always cleaning them and I can't STAND water on the floor, so that shouldn't be an issue for me Smile And with the dishwasher IN the island, it will be directly behind the sink, so it should work out good. Let me know your thoughts! I love to hear them Smile And yes, when it comes time and it's all finished I will post of picture.
Jul 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
metwo
Now is the time to consider all those things you might like to have as it might be cheaper to add them now rather than later.

Where are you going to put the coffepot/toaster/mixer/micro etc, that you use most every day. Is there room on the counter top or do you need shelves above or below the counter?

Pull out shelves are wonderful. Is it cheaper to order the cabinets with them or might the after-market ones be cheaper? Where are you going to store all those odd shaped serving dishes and bakeware?

I have 2 of those skinny cabinets for cookie sheets, 9x13 pans, etc. I really like them. (I think I got 2 because the builder was mathematically challanged Big Grin). But there are other solutions.

Are you taller or shorter than average? Would a lower or higher countertop work better for cutting,etc? While it is not good to alter the entire countertop a small section might make things easier for you.

More thoughts on the island... will be back.
Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 PM
Becky42
bump