HGTV Message Boards
wall color

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/8483921367

Sep 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
AJC08
wall color
Need help with wall color choice for kitchen.
The cabinets are a glazed maple, flooring/ baseboard are a dark oak ( the home is 100yrs with refinished woodwork, I chose not to pain it).
The counter tops are granite with colors that include cream,gray, black, golds/copper with garnet flecks. I have stainless steel appliances. Here is the dilemma... There is only one window, so natural light is limited.There is not an option for additional/larger window or skylights. I had the room painted a deep wine which looked great, but it made the room too dark. I repainted a pale cream and now the room just looks blah. I need suggestions for paint color and accent color to help the room come alive. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sep 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
jd47
Photos would be helpful, but me thinks why not use two colors...one on the bottom of your walls, use a chair rail and another on the top of the walls...start looking at the paint web sites...Sherwin Williams offers you a way of seeing paint colors on walls, look around their web site and you'll find it.
You might look at different shades of the copper color in your countertops...light on the bottom, a little darker on top...if you use a copper on the bottom, you can use a cream on top.

Good luck...
Sep 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
blueday
It'd definitely be helpful to see pics. Are we talking about painting the backsplash area, a soffit and/or other, full walls?

Your countertop provides multiple, neutral options. I would select a light grey/silver as my neutral for the walls. What accent colors might flow from your adjacent rooms and the rest of your decor? The wine? Nearly anything will look good with the grey/silver. Another option: if necessary to work well with the room's brown tones, you might take the light grey slightly towards the brownish-taupes.

Given the bold countertop, if you currently don't have a backsplash, you might consider some simple subway tile (white/cream) with a stripe of your selected accent color in glass tile, for your backsplash. Another cheaper option would be ceramic tile in a light version of your accent color with a dark stripe in either ceramic or glass tile. Still cheaper: some type of paint treatment for the backsplash, e.g. stripes. You can also introduce the accent color with accessories, e.g. a ceramic cookie jar and/or kitchen towels.

Good Luck! JMHO, all of the above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueday,
Sep 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
jd47
Indeed...photos are what we need to help.
For the backsplash...I'll be doing my kitchen over, and to save on money, I'm going to use beadboard for a backsplash and run a line of accent tiles or some sort in the middle portion of the beadboard...that might work for AJC08.
Apr 24, 2013, 11:19 PM
Becky42
bump
May 18, 2013, 12:33 AM
smith46
The wall color is very important for homes and shops whether for rooms or kithen. The light color looks decent and nice. But different style color with dark an dlight mixup looks aggressive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smith46,

glass shop fronts london