Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Need help with vinyl tile flooring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with vinyl tile flooring Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all I currently have some ugly 70's laminate sheet flooring in my kitchen, I would like to put vinyl tiles down instead. The tiles are self adhesive, I have been told I do not need to tear up the original floor but that I may need to lay something down on it before putting the tiles down. I need to know if this true and if it is what is I need to lay on the original floor? Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't personally do or recommend peel-and-stick but have heard that no underlayment's needed, so long as you remove all traces of wax from your old floor. BTW, an ammonia and water solution can be used for that purpose, IIRC.

If you google it, detailed instructions are available.

Good luck with your project!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You for that information. Also does anyone know if I need to put a sealant on the tiles or anything?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason so many people abhore peel and stick is that they can lift up if the conditions are wrong for them or they are not installed properly.

If at all possible remove the flooring that is on there. If there is any texture to the flooring it will show through. Sometimes it is easier than you think. If you cannot remove it must be clean and it should NOT be slick. There must be some "tooth" for the tile adhesive to adhere well.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely right, peel and stick IS a problem (according to the powers that be). I used a wax stripper and cleaned the floor really well. Then I put down the P&S with a terracotta look. Oh, I forgot to mention that that was almost 20 years ago and except for a few tiles that got damaged through the years and replaced easily with a hair dryer removal, it's been great. But then, I'm not the "powers that be". And I've never found anything I like as much, sorry, not a flooring snob.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you chimed in Jaysmom. I knew you had laid it successfully. We only had a problem with it when the heat was excessive (we weren't there) and some tiles loosened. They did stick down again, except one. A friend who laid hers over another floor had some loosen but I do wonder if she cleaned it well enough.

I see nothing wrong with P&S. Prefer it over many other types. But all flooring has it pros and cons and it helps to know before you use it.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd call it personal preference as a result of years of experience - not being a "flooring snob".

Instructions for the sealants are also available, Saige.

If possible, I'd install it over your subfloor. It's similar to any other floor - you'll need tons of prep work and multiple steps to obtain the desired result.

Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
I can't say I ever done lots of prep work and multiple steps on any type of flooring I have installed.

No, you do not need a sealant. These are the same as any other vinyl floor except they come in smaller form.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AguaBella:
I'd call it personal preference as a result of years of experience - not being a "flooring snob".

Sorry, I guess I get annoyed at those HH type shows where "that VINYL has got to go" is where "flooring snob" came in. I like your explanation much better!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, jaysmom. I've just encountered too many floors with tiles popping up, even though they were (supposedly) installed professionally.

Saige, if you're concerned about particles and/or dirt in the hairline joints where peel-and-stick tiles are butted against one another, the sealants are available.

If you have any questions about the other steps, feel free to post back. Good luck with your project!