Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  1949 All Brick Colonial Kitchen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1949 All Brick Colonial Kitchen Sign In/Join 
posted
I am just getting ready to renovate my kitchen. The goal is to incorporate some elements from the late 40s to early 50s. I have tried to find some good picture of the cabinet doors to see what styles were used. It has been difficult to find good ones.

Does anyone know if a shaker style door fits with the time period?

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you search "design elements of 1940 and 1950 kitchens", a lot of excellent information is available online. If you have your original cabinets, it might be worthwhile to have them refinished as they are probably solid wood and may have been custom constructed on site. If they are original metal cabinets and not rusted, they can also be professionally refinished. The trick with old cabinets is to also have the interiors refinished.

If a shaker style door is used, I would use a painted finish rather than a wood stain for a more compatible look.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will try the search as you indicated. Since I have used so many combinations I am not sure if I have used this one previously.

The cabinets are not original however I wish they were. They are from the 1970s or 1980s.

I am trying to find good pictures of cabinet doors so that I can pick the appropriate option. At this point I haven't decided what type of finish I want. We meet with the company that is going to do my kitchen next Tuesday. I want to have all of my ideas together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LoyolaBaltMD,

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I was alive and observing in the 1940's and 1950's so this is my advice. Like now, unless you were in a newly built home your kitchen probably was also from an earlier era.

Linoleum (the real thing, not vinyl) was commonly used. We moved into an old house (c.1900) in l946, so it had pantries. The kitchen itself had a round oak table. The stove was on legs with four burners on one side and the other side was a raised oven. Things were much less sleek and less unified.

Go to a flea market or some such place near you and visit a booth or dealer who sells old magazines and things like that (you can even check ebay) look at magazines from the 1940's and 1950's. That will give you an idea of an ideal kitchen of that time (maybe old cookbooks too!)

Posts: 12659 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try retrorenovation.com for ideas and insights into the "why's" of period decor. Like the post polio germophobic obsession with white, metal,linoleum, and other "sanitary" design considerations.

Posts: 1783 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
My parent's home was built in 1953 and it was the epitome of the modern kitchen, for the time: sleek white metal slab front cabinets and laminate counters; a typical mid-century/postwar utilitarian style. Over time, my parents painted the cabinets a Pepto Bismol pink (very popular) and then avocado.

In 1965, they had new hardwood custom cabinets made in a warm teak finish and slab front doors, for the popular Scandinavian/Danish modern look at the time.

Slab front doors with simple chrome hardware (like C-pulls) would give your kitchen a mid-century look. They can be painted or stained. But, the fewer frills, the better.

http://www.retroplanet.com/blo...0s-decorating-style/

Posts: 5296 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lady of shallot, Charles D and aychihuahua,

Thank you all for your responses.

I will try looking at the web sites listed.

My style is very simple and clean with straight lines. From what I can tell there are some style elements of the late 40s / early 50s that fit in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LoyolaBaltMD,