Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP ME PICK COLORS Sign In/Join 
Picture of moni73
posted
Hi.I'm renting house and kitchen needs work.Cabinets are white,counters dark brown.I want to add blue to go with the flow of the house which is mix of greys and splash of blue(beachy modern cottage style).Not sure what back splash color I should do?Would like to paint walls shade of light blue.Should I do white backsplash, blue or go dark?Please help!Any other ideas welcome!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moni73
posted Hide Post
Some more pictures of the kitchen.

Picture of moni73
posted Hide Post
Another angle

posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards. Is that a photo of the house? If so, lucky you!! Can you buy it? I like the wall color as it is. If it were my kitchen, it would be the countertop that I'd want to change as well as the cabinet hardware.

Posts: 3412 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a beachy feel and have blue elsewhere it should look nice here. Any shade will,do but if you keep it a lighter shade it will have more of a beachy feel.

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moni73
posted Hide Post
Thanks..what do you think of White subway back splash and light blue paint?I also found this color palette that I like and the rest of the house is of that chocolate and grey color so would go good I think.

Picture of moni73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Welcome to the boards. Is that a photo of the house? If so, lucky you!! Can you buy it? I like the wall color as it is. If it were my kitchen, it would be the countertop that I'd want to change as well as the cabinet hardware.

Not my house...lol(Not that lucky)..Just a dream home I'm saving forWink.Tnx for the input,I am planning on putting new paint and tile backsplash but I won't spend any more to do the counters...otherwise I would def get rid of itWink

posted Hide Post
That's the kind of house they created glass tile backsplashes for. Beach glass look would be perfect, but a very light blue would work, too. That would be a fairly expensive layout though for a rental, so using it as an accent in a white tile backsplash would be the next best thing.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does the landlord feel about your proposed updates? Personally, I wouldn't spend either my money or time on a rental.

Will the landlord cover any part of it? In any event, if you make any changes, I would ask him/her to sign-off, in writing, on the materials used and work completed.

That way, you can (hopefully) get your deposit back and won't have to worry about ripping everything out before you move.

Good Luck!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moni73
posted Hide Post
Thnks for the input.My landlords are awesome,easy going,we're good friends.They are ok with anything we do that will make the house look better.Cost is very low as my dad is a prof installer and can get the stuff for cheap or often free.Might do the blue glass in between white tile to add a pinch of color

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moni73:
They are ok with anything we do that will make the house look better.

I'm sure your reno (and colors) will be terrific! Unfortunately, we all have different opinions about what makes a house "look better". And, tastes and styles change over time. In addition, landlords often develop what I call "situational amnesia" when tenants move out who've updated and/or changed their space somehow.

Friendships (unfortunately) may change or disappear over time, too, especially when a business relationship also exists.

So, even though everything's working well now, I would still take the time to have the landlord sign off on the color choices, any other decisions and the work performed. It may save you time and headaches later on if/when someone forgets he/she verbally approved the reno.

If you have time, Moni, to post before and afters, that'd be great! I'm sure everything will turn out well.

Good Luck!

Picture of moni73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that...I whole hardly agree with you.We had a terrible landlords before this one even though we were perfect tenants for 12 yrs.When this one came about we truly lucked out.We actually asked in the first walk around the house if we can paint or do some subtle updates and they were more than happy.We truly treasure this relationship,they are a retired couple who agreed to rent it to us based on trust when we had no reference.Honesty pays sometimes.I just showed them tiles that my dad brought for fireplace ($25sq) and they wanted to pay for it even though it cost us nothing.So no worries.But we do have a simple agreement which states we are allowed to make changes.I am still looking into paint colors,kinda going from blue to orange ...I will def post after pics.Thanks for input!

posted Hide Post
That's terrific, Moni - I'm sure it will all work out.

WRT your colors, I love the blues you selected. Depending on the shade selected, they'd probably blend in beautifully with a sea view. Have you thought about using oranges and/or yellows as accents? Very tropical!

It'd be great to see your after pics, if you have time. Good Luck!

P.S. Can't remember if the cabinet h/w was discussed above. I'd probably change it out. It's o.k., for a rental -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,