HGTV Message Boards
Kitchen Island instead of a dinning table

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/8233902267

Aug 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
Guy Vago
Kitchen Island instead of a dinning table
Hi,

We've finnaly bought our 1st new appartment.
As in any appt. it has it's + and minuses.
One of which is that the kitchen is well a rather closed one and it is long and narrow.
We are looking for a way to make it feel bigger but more importantly...
We would like to have our breakfasts and dinners in it (We are a family of 5).
An island, maybe with bar stools is great but we can't seem to find the right way to do it in this current setup.

If you have an idea on how to set it up right, please help us.

Thanks in advance.
Vago

floor plan

Aug 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
jd47
For me, your diagram is hard to understand...maybe you could post a blueprint of just your kitchen and the area around it and leave out the bedrooms, baths...and/or post a couple of photos of the kitchen area...there is too much going on with this blueprint to make any real sense...
Aug 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
Guy Vago
Thank you for the comment,
You can get a sense of the current design in the following floorplanner link - http://pl.an/bcrc43

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Guy Vago,

Aug 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
jd47
Looks like you have plenty of room for a kitchen counter for eating. I assume that's the living room beyond the kitchen and then main door entrance to the left of that wall.
Looks like about 7ft. between the front of the frig and that short wall on the left.
One idea...you could build a counter off that short left wall and extend that into the living room area as much as you see fit...you could even 'L' shape it back towards the frig by maybe 3 ft. and have an 'L' shaped breakfast counter.

Funny layout to work with, so I understand why you'd be wondering how to get a counter in there. That entrance kind of goofs it up.

The other way might be to move your frig. Put it on the short wall, then you could build the breakfast counter where the frig is straight across and get maybe a 5ft long counter. Depending on the room, you could start the counter at the end of the cabinets where the frig is, take that short frig wall out, the counter would extend out from there a foot or so, then make the 'L' from there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jd47,
Aug 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Guy Vago
Thanks jd,

Yes, the entrance makes it goofy in a way that you cannot sit extend a counter off the left wall and have people sit on the left side since it's "the entrance".

Doing an L off the left wall and to the right seems a possible solution, but i'm worried that it will make getting in/out of the kitchen quite annoying as we will need to curve around it on the way to the living room.

the idea to move the fridge and doing a counter on the right side seems interesting.

Thanks for your inputs.
Aug 20, 2012, 10:18 AM
jd47
quote:
Originally posted by Guy Vago:
Thanks jd,

Yes, the entrance makes it goofy in a way that you cannot sit extend a counter off the left wall and have people sit on the left side since it's "the entrance".

Doing an L off the left wall and to the right seems a possible solution, but i'm worried that it will make getting in/out of the kitchen quite annoying as we will need to curve around it on the way to the living room.

the idea to move the fridge and doing a counter on the right side seems interesting.

Thanks for your inputs.

Yes, putting it on that left wall would be awkward, but had to throw it out there anyway because unless one can actually see the apartment, hard to know...that's why I mentioned going to the right with a 'L'...and with the right hand 'L', it might make it kinda annoying getting in the kitchen...as I said, not very certain of how much room you'd have...
I think the only way is to move the frig...and I'd bet it would turn out just right for you guys...you need to get in there and get measurements, then move the frig out of the way, using masking tape on the floor to outline the counter, will give you a good idea if it'll work or not.

Best of luck, keep us posted
Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 PM
Becky42
bump