HGTV Message Boards
need help with new kitchen layout

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/8153913557

Jan 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
khk
need help with new kitchen layout
Hi. We are building a new house and we are able to change the layout so it suits our family of six better. We currently live in a house with the same kitchen and would like to address the few issues that we currently have. It is kind of a galley kitchen with a breakfast nook at the end. I feel like I am constantly running laps around the large island as the fridge is on the opposite side from the stove. I will post pics in a minute. I have attached the floor plan for the new house. We have thought about removing the wall between the kitchen and family room for more of an open concept but I am not sure about giving up the cupboard space. Any help, advice or thoughts is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2012, 08:35 PM
khk
photo1 of current kitchen

Jan 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
khk
photo 2

Jan 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
khk
photo 3

Jan 26, 2012, 09:46 PM
metwo
Just some thoughts.... do you really need an eating nook and a dining room so close together? Would not one eating place do?

If you have children in the house I would not put a micro over a stove. (to be honest, I would not do it at any time but with children?? Oh my!!)

Is your dishwasher going to be in a convenient place to put things away?

Does that start you thinking at all?
Jan 27, 2012, 08:38 AM
mdancey
Poor space planning in your old and new kitchens. Since you have some choice I would put the fridge, ovens and stove top all on the same wall behind the sink. Where the ovens are placed now does not make any sense.

Since it looks like you might have a bank of ovens why not stack the microwave there as well moving it all to the opposite end of the fridge.

You have room to make your island longer as well. I would take advantage of that option and use the space to store your dishes in dish drawers instead of putting them in overhead cupboards. Ideally they would be on the appliance wall but if you move the bank of ovens there it will take away, maybe, too much everyday storage. You know what you have and how much space you need to store it.

Cheers
Mary

"Richness does not entail luxury, nor simplicity cheapness"
Gustav Stickley
Jan 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
khk
Thanks for those ideas.
I have spent too much time carrying food around a wall to a dining room table and then clearing all those dishes back again, so the eat in kitchen is definitely on my must have list.

We hadn't really thought too much about changing the kitchen to suit the childrens needs, but we are now. Currently though, even the lower of the double wall ovens are a problem with the 2 year old -- he likes to open it -- so I end up never using it. We have seen some microwaves under the counter level, but those buttons would be too much of a temptation for him. I also don't like the idea of having to bend down to everything under the counter. Where else can you put a microwave?

Yes, definitely helps get us thinking. Thanks.
Jan 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
khk
Mary - we had been thinking about putting the ovens, stovetop and fridge all along that back wall and then on the island the sink and dishwasher. Can you stack a microwave on top of the double ovens? Would you need to put them quite low to make the microwave accessible?

With the dish drawers - do you gain more space for storage? I haven't considered them too much, so I am not sure. I will have to look into that.

Thanks.
Jan 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
metwo
Your current kitchen is beautiful but not very efficent as you have found out. Having the island in the middle of a galley kitchen does not work unless you can duplicate the appliances. Since you are familiar with that design I can understand why you just want to tweak it.

Wild idea #1 - Eliminate the wall/cabinets between the kitchen, dining room. Extend the kitchen into what is now the nook. Then move your island a little over to the left. That makes stools there more practical.

Wild idea #2 - eliminate the nook extension. It will save you construction costs so you have more to spend on pretties. Make it an L shape with the long leg where the nook opening is now. You can put an island opposite that.

If you put your elbows at your side and extend your arms forward, that should be the bottom of the mico, give or take a bit in either direction (my opinion - nothing is set is stone). They make micro shelfs. You just alter the cabinet above slightly shorter. But with kids... I would consider putting it on the counter. It is the first appliance they can use safely if you place it at a height where they will not be pulling hot food toward their face. Just make sure there is landing space to the right.

Never thought I would but I like dish drawers. No, you do not gain any space, you just use the space you have differently.

I really suggest you look at alternate kitchen designs. You can look at house plans on the internet, consult a kitchen designer or just visit other peoples kitchens and find out what they like or don't like about it.
Jan 28, 2012, 10:17 AM
mdancey
Here is a Kitchen Aid Mircowave/connvection plus reg oven combo.
www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KEMS308SSS/

Other brands also make this type of combo. Takes the need out of having a double oven plus a microwave as the microwave is also a convection oven. They also have a model that also has a steamer option.

One thing about 2 year olds is that they don't stay 2 for very long. Smile

Gustav Stickley
Jan 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
metwo
Mdancey, I had to cringe when you posted that. Smile I am not a fan of appliances that combine 2 in one. When your microwave breaks, instead of spending $100 to replace it you have to spend $3000 for a whole unit.... that or find another place in the kitchen for a micro. There is one of those duo units in this house and I dislike it immensely for that reason.
Jan 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
mdancey
I think that a good manufacturer can turn out a decent product and with the added extended warranty programs available today they are a great space saving choice.

metwo, do you not like the way the unit operates or you don't like it because you are anticipating something that hasn't happened yet? Smile

Gustav Stickley
Jan 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
metwo
mdancy, I dislike like it because at one time (before we bought the house) the handle on the micro portion was broken and it is glued together... looks terrible. Also it is an old unit so micro is only 800w. I use the micro for a lot of cooking and so find it very slow and , wellllll, it just bugs me.

I've been using a micro for over 50 years and while I do not like all the new stuff on some of the current ones, they are much better than this. But I am not going to spend $1500+ to replace it.

I also don't like combo washer and dryers for the same reason and any other duo appliance. Just my opinion.
Feb 22, 2012, 06:57 PM
ACWhite
I agree with metwo about the two-in-one appliances, and I like her wild idea #1 especially!
Feb 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Belstone
Those who suggest all appliances on one wall are right...a sink in the island for food prep and your work triangle/cook zone is complete. On the other wall, I would put another sink, dishwasher and all dish storage...clean up zone. This should cut down on your laps!

Stacked ovens are a problem...been there, done that. You might consider an oven and separate MW, stacked but not connected, then an oven under the cooktop...also not connected. This can't be done with all gas cooktops, but it can with some.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**
Apr 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
J_todd777
If you want some great kitchen remodel Ideas and use pinterest (which I recommend), Check out Kitchen Magics board. It's got tons of pictures of Kitchen Remodel Ideas. It's def nice to browse through. Here I'll post the link on the bottom for you.

http://pinterest.com/kitchenma...tchen-remodel-ideas/
Apr 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
Becky42
bump