Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  What direction is kitchen design taking?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What direction is kitchen design taking? Sign In/Join 
posted
We are about to start planning a kitchen remodel, and I need some guidance. Having a functional kitchen is the most important aspect, but having an open floor plan makes style a close second for us. Because this is such an expensive undertaking, I would like to know what direction design is going to take in the future. What colors, materials, etc., should I stay away from to avoid having a kitchen that looks dated in a few years. What will the major trends be? How do I distinguish a trend from a fad?

Our taste is flexible, but the house itself is traditional/transitional with a craftsman vibe, so an ultra modern style probably won't work in our house. I would really like to hear from both design professionals and those who have recently completed such a project.

Thank you,
Sherry

~~~~
Blessed be the peacemakers.
=^^=

Posts: 205 | Location: East Texas | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at lots of upscale magazines. They forecast what's coming, it may not be what you want but they show what's new and different. Once a trend is wildly popular and is at the big box stores, you will find the industry is working on newer stuff to sell the public. When we redid our kitchen I visited lots of showrooms and saw what was available. Don't automatically rule out cabinet makers and custom places since they may offer more value for your money than the big box stores. My kitchen is traditional but I have a very different granite on my island which I found at a granite supplier after viewing dozens and dozens of slabs. My cabinets are cherry and are all wood. Some are custom and others are standard. The cabinet shop gave us lots of advice and worked with us to create the best layout for us. Good luck and have fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 16paws,

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering what's hot and what's not for the near future is important, but unless you beleive that sometime in the future you'll sell your house, my advice is to go with what YOU like...and not worry so much about 'fads' or what will be popular 5 years from now...which no one really knows anyway, even the pros!!

I'm doing a kitchen makeover also...but haven't started yet...we'll be in this house til we die, so all I really care about is my own taste and what we'll be happy with...besides, we have white appliances...popular? Nope...but hey, in 5 years, white might come back...heehee!!

Best of luck...take a deep breath!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jd47,

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16paws and jd47,

Thank you for the comments. What I'm trying to address is balancing personal preference with the fact that we will likely sell this house in about 15 years. I want to remodel the kitchen in a classic fashion that matches the rest of house and avoid having to do a frantic major update in order to sell it. Minor--no problem, major--big problem.

Here's an example of a question I have to ponder. A classic craftsman kitchen might use quarter sawn oak; however, oak of any kind is viewed rather scornfully right now. I read mb posts from people who can't wait to tear out their "dreadful" oak cabinets and floors. Often, the pictures they post show beautiful custom cabinets whose only fault is being built of an unstylish wood. Me? I love oak, but I don't want to use anything that becomes a major deterrent to selling the house in 15 years. Remodeling the kitchen is a major financial and emotional investment, and I don't want to have to redo it just to sell a house later down the road.

~~~~
=^^=

Posts: 205 | Location: East Texas | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't go for fads they go out to fast stay classic with a little modern twist .Never understood the oak cabinet stupidity as what would they want fiber board cabinets that look like crap after a couple of years of soaking up moisture .Yet again what do they want on the floors ,SURPRISE OAK duh .Just go with a good quality wood cabinet and if there is a change in the future doors can be changed out or painted .I look at quality as the test of time .Those pressed wood boxes and doors do not hold up ,drawers fall apart ,cabinet door hinges get loose ,lots of dings and dents .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a large investment, your kitchen should be an extension of your homes architectural style. If you ever need to sell your home, prospective buyers look for continuity of style and "flow".

I think you never go wrong with repeating some of the material choices that show up elsewhere in your home, like wood tones, tile colors, metal finishes, to give a clean comprehensive look to the overall appearance.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCat, when I notice oak kitchens, it feels as if their trim's curved shape dates them - possibly even more than the oak itself. If you stick with a classic shape, you'll be fine. In a pinch, the cabinet's exterior trim can be redone.

Personally, I would include **$ in my (future) fix-up/selling expense budget for professional painting services and new cabinet hardware, at minimum.

All, JMHO. Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blueday,

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
blueday, I remember when those arched top panels were a "must-have" for cabinet doors, and now they look so dated.

sissy77, it's sad that people often just price shop and end up with junk like you are describing.

Charles D, I'm seeing more and more the need to do some more research about translating architectural style of the home into style in cabinet design and decorating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SpeckledCat~2,

~~~~
=^^=

posted Hide Post
Well first of all beware of blanket statements. While there is no doubt that golden oak cathedral top doors are dated, if you had a craftsman style house with oak arts and crafts doors, oak would be a wonderful added value to your home. So oak isn't always dated, but certain styles don't pass the test of time.

Look at the outside of your home and list all its features that you really like.Now open the front door and evaluate your foyer. Is there anything there that is just "your style"? Make a list of your favorite features, like the floor tile in the bathroom, or the stone around the fireplace.

Maybe your foyer has medium toned oak floors. If the kitchen floor butts up against this wood, look for a tile that has a vein or a speckle as close in color to the wood as possible. The entire tile does not have to be the color of the other flooring, but tieing the two together will look more cohesive and expansive.

Also remember that kitchens should be up to date from a convenience standpoint, so antique cupboards might not be as good a choice as kitchen cabinets with pull out trays. You can always put your personal stamp on a room with fabric and art. Don't go overboard with any themes,in the end you'll be sorry. So if you like cherries or monkeys or roosters or whatever, a couple of luncheon plates from Home Goods or some nice embroidered napkins are fine. No one needs cutsey wallpaper with a theme like a kids bedroom.

Best of Luck, Charles

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alternatively, beware of posters who criticize others apparently without either reading and/or understanding their posts.

Funny, I reread the last 4 previous posts (other than the OP's) and didn't see any disagreement, whatsoever. We basically all encouraged the OP to select the best quality possible with a classic trim option, ignore fads and by all means, use oak, if appropriate for her home. We also acknowledged that said cabinets can be painted, if necessary, when the OP prepares for resale of the home.

Nice of you to give the OP appropriate instruction and establish the rules of good kitchen design. The rest of us were merely expressing our humble opinions.

IMHO, SCat, there are no rules. Do what's best for you and your family, secure in the knowledge that minor changes can easily and efficiently prepare your home for resale.

Best of luck to you, SCat. As above, it's all JMHO.

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my question.

~~~~
=^^=

posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post