Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

panel box Sign In/Join 
posted
Help, I have an ugly electric panel box in my kitchen. I have tried to hide it with magnets and pics, but it is a nusiance. It is located beside my refrigerator making it difficult to place a cabinent around. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Storage possibilities?
It probably would not be code, but a hinged (swing away) panel of painted pegboard with hooks could hold spatulas, large ladles, spoons, tongs, etc? The pegboard would need to be attached to a framework behind so it would not warp or bow.

If you do cover it (hide it in any way), make sure all family members including baby sitters or house guests know where it is located in case of an emergency?

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Seth,

You mentioned that a cabinet can not be placed by the refrigerator b/c of this panel's location. It's actually very common to build what's sometimes called a "dummy" cabinet around one of these obstructions.

You would go ahead and design/build your cabinets normally. For that particular cabinet, any available space inside that particular cabinet, i.e. in front of/around the panel would be used/built out with a shelf; otherwise, when the cabinet door opens, the panel's available. From the front/exterior, it appears to be a normal cabinet.

Hope that helps. Your contractor s/b able to assist you, if any code issues exist. Dummy cabinets are not uncommon, IME.

All of the above, JMHO.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The fake cabinet door mentioned may also be a great option!

But just make sure it is either outside labeled (electrical box) or that EVERYONE ever alone in the house knows where it is and especially how to cut the main power (main breaker). Precious time could be wasted looking for it in an emergency otherwise.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had this problem before and I have found that if you just paint the panel box cover/door the same color as the wall, it disapears into the wall.
I rencently watched 'kitchen counsins' where the did a kitchen and left the breaker panel on the wall, untouched. As if it was a focul point. Makes me wonder what kind of designers they are.
Anyway, try the paint - if you are not happy with that you can always spend more money for elaberet designs - but I don't think you will.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A chalk board or cork board hides them nicely and gives easy access and a place to put or write things down and cute to boot .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post