Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Kitchen Island Pendant Lighting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen Island Pendant Lighting Sign In/Join 
posted
I would like to replace the old florescent light box in my kitchen with 3 mini pendant lights over the island. The island is 52" X 21" and the old light box is the same size and contains 4 florescent lights. The new mini pendant lights are 7 7/8" tall and 4 3/4" wide (at the widest point). However after reading several online discussions am concerned that the 3 pendant lights will not provide as much overall light in the kitchen as the current light. I do have a chandelier over the kitchen table at one end of the room with 5 lights. Can anyone provide me some feedback on whether the new lights will provide enough lighting in the room before I have them installed? And any suggestions for other types of lighting if the pendants don't work.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends largely on what type and wattage bulb the pendants use. Remember that these new lights will be somewhere near half as far from the island as the ceiling light is now.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put up those lights that have directional heads .It has to be attached to the electrical box and mine has 3 lights on each side of the bars and the bars can be moved and the lights can be turned any direction you want .I did change out the halogen bulbs gu 10 bulbs for LED bulbs I bought at Tmart. com I like I can point them wherever I need light .I got my light at home depot .I love it because I can point one at the front of the micro hood and finally can see the front at night .You can also put the light on a dimmer switch as long as you have the dimmer capable bulbs .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Have you visited a "lighting store"? where that is all they sell?

I got great advice from a local Lamp/lighting store, even if I did not end up buying from them. Brought in the room layout with cabinets (also a few photos) and ceiling height and they suggested the number of lumens and fixtures necessary for task lighting in the kitchen and a good layout. It does matter how high above a surface a light is and what type/wattage of bulb will vary the light output as Chuck mentioned.

There are many types of fixtures, so visiting with the pros may offer you the best advice.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post