Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

update now or wait? Sign In/Join 
posted
we recently purchased a decent sized cape with a small galley kitchen. the kitchen layout works for us now since it's just us two but we both really would love to change the backsplash, floor tile, counter tops, and ideally purchase matching appliances (the fridge needs replacing, stove is fine, dingy older dishwasher and over the range microwave). the previous homeowner installed nice maple kraftmaid cabinets (I'm okay with the color even though it is not my preference so we would keep those). we would keep the layout of everything. A big extension renovation is definitely not going to happen in the next 10 maybe even 15 years--- so would it be ridiculous to spend 10,000 on updating a small kitchen?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I vote to go ahead and do what you can to make it pleasant, efficient and attractive for now. Who knows what sill happen in the next decade or more?

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with a small kitchen. You just have been watching too much TV where every kitchen is huge. There is a lot to be said for everything within easy reach.

I kind of cringe at 10,000 for a renovation with no construction and no cabinets. But this is your kitchen. Spend the money how you like.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I was counting in medium to high quality appliances and having experienced pros demo and install all flooring, sink/plumbing, counters, lighting and tile. Don't know the actual size of the kitchen area, however. Amazing how all that can often add up to near 10,000, depending on what part of the country you are in.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hehe it's really small. literally only three people can fit in there without bumping into each other.

the lighting is really good and if we're not changing the layout-- we shouldn't have to do much with the plumbing right?

posted Hide Post

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Cute kitchen. Besides your choosing a couple new appliances (prices vary), I don't think your redecorating bill is going to be that large.

What about that white rolling island/cart by the door? Are you planning something built in or a small table/chairs for that area?

The only thing about the existing kitchen cabinets "I" don't like is the scalloped wood piece over the sink. I might remove or cover with a straight piece.

posted Hide Post
It makes it very country looking right? The White Island might stay, might not. The previous homeowner had a table and corner bench there but if anything we would probably put more cabinets and counter space depending on the cost.. The challenge is the window because then the counters wouldn't be to height.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lalroma,

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Might check matching kraftmaid cabinetry and what pieces they have, if you would like more storage in that island area.
One can use shallower upper cabinets with a toe kick area under them, and add a deeper/wider top, to create an eating bar with stools under the window? Or possibly a pantry unit with fold/swing outs for food storage. If you ever do decide to change the layout, you may be able to disassemble and use the pieces again in a new configuration.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
To add, I personally would definitely change the grid tile floor to an overall pattern with NO grid or squared pattern look. I think it would make the kitchen appear cleaner/larger.

posted Hide Post
Eating bar is a great idea!!! I want to get larger tile and do it in some sort of diagonal pattern.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If I were doing tile, I would choose a grout that nearly matched or just "a tiny bit" darker than the overall tile color. This would help to eliminate the breakup pattern in the floor, that draws the eye and creates business. Diagonal that you mentioned can also give an illusion of width...but you will need more tile for waste cuts.

With a small kitchen, I personally would also look at a commercial, high quality, vinyl flooring with overall pattern (there are tons to choose from). Simple to clean/maintain, hides soil or spots wonderfully. But you won't find this at Home Desparate or Lowes.

posted Hide Post
your kitchen looks great. your countertops looks fine. maybe you change the paint.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look fine if you're in it and you see it up close. The previous homeowners DIY screw up with the tile and counters are cheap laminate

posted Hide Post
Your kitchen is not that bad, I see plenty worse on a daily basis. If I were you, I would install new stone tops, and new back splash tile to start with. I agree removing the outdated trim piece is a must as well. However at the floor, I would stain the grout lighter to match the tile and seal it properly to maintain that color. It is much cheaper and easier than replacing the floor. I would say you will come in under budget with mid range selections!

Good Luck
Jason Smith
http://www.prestigerenovation.com

Good Luck!
Jason Smith
Prestige Renovations
http://www.prestigerenovation.com

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post