Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  Need help with kitchen on a budget
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with kitchen on a budget Sign In/Join 
posted
After 15 years I am tired of the blue knobs in our kitchen and the wallpaper that was there when I moved in. Ready to do a small scale update. Unfortunately I am currently unemployed so our funds are limited. One evening my husband was motivated and started stripping wallpaper. It is now all off so I'm ready to do something new.

The blue tile backsplash has to stay as we won't be able to change that now. Ditto with the counter top which is butcher block laminate, and the stainless steel sink, both of which are in very good condition. I mainly want to paint the cabinets, walls & ceiling, but not sure about colors that will blend ok with the light blue tiles. I'm really leaning toward using red, like a barn red, but I think red walls would be too much in this small kitchen. Possibly chair railings and red on the bottom half? Otherwise I was thinking of painting the cabinets all white (with maybe red on the insides). We will also be replacing the cabinet & drawer knobs, just wish there weren’t 35 of them to replace! (on the flip side I love having that much storage space!) Will also be replacing window treatments and open to redoing the kitchen chairs.

Eventually we will be putting in wood laminate floors, but that will not be right away. Any suggestions on colors or ways we can make fairly inexpensive improvements would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is a cute kitchen .You can check out bulk kitchen cabinet pulls .I bought mine at home depot but if you google them there are plenty of places that sell them and ikea has nice ones also

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mrsa, I'd love to see add'l photos. Can you post a photo of each of the 4 walls? Would love to see what's on the other side of your refrigerator and in the foreground (out of frame) of the first photo you posted.

I would check out the stainless, longer or wider cabinet pulls at Ikea. Would also think about replacing the 1 shelf with 2-3 Ikea stainless shelves. At minimum, I'd paint the under-side of the existing shelf.

Feels like your tab top drapes cut off the walls/windows, making your space feel smaller. How about just going with interior mount shades for privacy?

I'd remove the curved portion of the molding above the sink, leaving only the straight piece. Would also consider painting all the trim boards white.

The chairs feel heavy and large for the space. If you can't replace them, I suggest spraying them with high-gloss white and then bringing in your red accent via the chair cushions.

For this size of a space, wouldn't bother with a chair rail. Also would pass on painting the inside of your cabinets in red, unless you replace one set of doors with glass. That'd be great to show off some nice dishware. OTOH, if you did that, you might want to paint the interior white so that the dishware colors stand out.

Not sure about the wall color. Would love to see the add'l photos. Might be best to stay neutral and use red in your accessories and fabrics. What colors did you paint in the adjoining rooms? Always nice to have a flow -

It's all JMHO and good luck with your cute kitchen!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plan carefully the designs that you really wanted to have and develop a lesser designs to manage.

-- Aljur Abby
Blue Hand Home

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had knobs like yours which I had matched to my kitchen wall color. When I remodeled, I kept the wall color, but replaced the hardware with stainless knobs and pulls. My carpenter also changed the hinges so that they aren't visible. I painted my upper cabinets a "dull" green and the lowers a dark blue on one wall and all green on the opposite wall. I am a big fan of "two-tone" cabinets. I meant to remove the scallop edge over my sink and replace it with a straight line, but the message got muddled. My carpenter was so proud of saving the scallop that I didn't have the heart to say anything about it!

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the opposite wall.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post