HGTV Message Boards
Advice pls! Wall oven? No wall oven?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4841057842/m/7183993667

Jan 04, 2013, 12:53 PM
gmejlee
Advice pls! Wall oven? No wall oven?
Hi, All!
I have a Whirlpool Velos convection microwave oven over my Whirlpool Gas Stove (installed in 2007). The microwave has been breaking down (trim, handle, glass) due to the excessive heat the stove emits and I'm just tired of dealing with Whirlpool's lack of customer service.

Was thinking of taking both out and installing a double wall oven or a microwave / oven wall combo. Any suggestions? Will the oven get too hot? Will I have the same problems? Should I install a hood ventilator above the stove and forget about the wall oven and have separate microwave that sits on the counter?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Judy
Jan 04, 2013, 01:46 PM
conrad
Don't know what would work best in your kitchen, but I personally would never go back to a counter sitting microwave.

When you stay "stove" do you mean a range(stand alone unit, top elements with oven below) or a stove top mounted in a counter, with an oven somewhere else?
Jan 04, 2013, 01:59 PM
gmejlee
Hi Conrad,
Thanks for the reply. Right now I have a slide in range(gas cooktop and oven on bottom). You're right about having the microwave sitting on the counter...not a good idea.

-J
Jan 04, 2013, 02:14 PM
conrad
Most all appliances have guidelines for needed venting space above and to the sides.

If you could/would use another oven, then that might be a good option for a convection wall oven. Perhaps your current microwave is mounted too close to the range top??

No experience with convection oven heat, but I know our MW/fan combo has an automatic thermostat vent that turns the vent fan on if the heat/humidity get too high on the range. Surprised me once when boiling an open pan of water underneath. "Who turned that fan on??"Wink
Apr 24, 2013, 11:05 PM
Becky42
bump