Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  want to replace old, dated paneling with ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

want to replace old, dated paneling with ? Sign In/Join 
posted
about 1/2 of my kitchen walls have brown paneling on them which i would love to remove but i'm scared of the condition of the walls behind them. Not sure i could just fill any nail holes andpaint over since the layers of paint from the top and the bottom would not match and would consider putting up new wainscoting if i could find something fresh and easy to do. i'm working with a practically non existent budget and it's only me so any ideas?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
photos are always a big help...but, from what you explain...why can't you fill in the nail holes and any other holes or imperfections?

What do you mean about the layers of paint from top to bottom would not match? I don't get that at all.

You can buy wainscoting (bead board) at Lowe's or Home Depot pretty cheap...around 10$ for a 4'x8' panel...and nice chair rail for it cheaply also...unless your kitchen is huge, the expence wouldn't be much...and that would cwrtainly be fresh and easy to do.

If you can post a few photos, I'm sure you'd get replies with ideas...but your comments on the 'layers of paint' has me a bit confused.

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mermaid01
posted Hide Post
Daisy: I had brown wood half paneling in my breakfast area next to my kitchen and painted it as it was. Didn't fill any nail holes (didn't really see any)and just primed and painted. It looks great. Painted it white. The half above the paneling is painted in a contrasting color - grey and it looks good.

When I first painted it, I had painted both half paneling and space above the same color and it looked good, too. I had placed a wall paper border where the edge of the paneling met the wall, so you can tell how long ago that was!

So may I suggest you think again about painting your paneling. It was very inexpensive, just the cost of the paint.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Posts: 76 | Registered: Sep 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just painted paneling same color as the rest of the wall, looks good, the paneling gives the room a little character without the heavy dark wood look.
My room is a dining room in a rental, I also didn't want to spend time or money doing anything more.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you guys that she can sure paint that paneling...heck, she could even put a texture on if she wanted...but I agree, the painted paneling almost always looks perfectly fine, and with a little imagination, she can get it looking great with some trim, she can use a chair rail and split it in half or 3/4 and paint top & bottom different colors, as you suggested....
by the way, where is she?

Posts: 57 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: Aug 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think painting the panelings would be inappropriate. You can very well do that. Still, if you don't feel so comfortable then you can place a few cabinets to cover them up. You can see a few designs of cabinet on the link mentioned below:
http://www.rbcarpets.com/products/cabinets/

Posts: 6 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pictures to follow soon. i have removed one wall's panels and the drywall has the glue markings but otherwise seems in good condition. would i have to sand off the old glue marks before i put up new wainscoting?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Do they stick out much? If fairly flat to the wall, it may not be necessary. You could also use a carefully held (flat to the wall) wood chisel to scrape them level if necessary.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The walls in my bedroom and kitchen are knotty pine panels. I painted both and have never regretted it. The boards were so old that we didn't even have to do anything about the knots. I love both rooms now.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post