Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Kitchens & Baths
Hop To Forums   HGTV KitchenDesign
  copper sinks - practical?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

copper sinks - practical? Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Hi everyone - this is my first "official" post on the kitchens board as I'm usually just a lurker.

We are gearing up to re-do the kitchen. 1972's original. My preference is for a large farm style sink. Any opinions out there on choosing a copper finish rather than a stainless or enamel sink with regard to practicality? Easy to clean or does it get dinged up pretty quick? Pic below is just an example - I've found dozens of others online...

Posts: 2966 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous! One of my clients put one very similar into her kitchen remodel and absolutely LOVES it!

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was it spendy? Priced at or above a traditional white enamel style farm sink? We know what a sink like this could run, but as we are still in the beginning stages, it doesn't hurt to consider it.

We've got a very 1972 style home, and this finish might be a little more of a "refined" country look. Lines match the house.

If you don't mind my asking - do you know the make your client chose? Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Gee, I'm sorry, I don't - I do know she ordered it from a place in AZ and it was far less (and, IIRC, had free shipping) than many other places. This gal is so chea..uh, FRUGAL, she squeaks when she walks but appreciates quality. She's out of town on a family emergency right now so is unavailable to ask.
Do a LOT of shopping - I love the copper look, too and think it's really warm.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks doodles64. If you get the chance, any info would be helpful.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's practical or not, but it's sure pretty! I guess "practical" would depend on whether you want it shiny, shiny - or if you like it aged to perfection with a bit of tarnish...which would be my choice - I would hate to have to polish that sucker every week!

Posts: 16496 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it holds water, and stays attached to the cabinet, it's practical.

As to high or low maintenance, that's going to depend on the factory patina, and how you want to this to look over time.

My customers with copper tend to just let the sinks age as they will.

One nice thing about raw copper and copper oxide is bacteria can't live up against it.

Regards.

Posts: 337 | Location: Chicago, where else? | Registered: Jul 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I want to get copper sinks when we build the master suite and bath. Of course I would let it age naturally. I already have copper kitchen lights, I love the aged patina.

Here is a good place for copper sinks..

http://www.vandykes.com/kitche...15109eq100000015114/

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chicago Stonepro:

One nice thing about raw copper and copper oxide is bacteria can't live up against it.

Yes! As I understand it, the copper is the most "antibacterial" option available.

Thanks for the link Zone9lady!

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Just a little side note here...DD's firm did a "Parade Home" and installed a very pricey copper farm sink in the kitchen. For whatever reason, the inspector did not pass it and made them take it out. This was a new house, so maybe a remodel is safe? Wish I could remember why it was a problem....senior moment, I guess.

Anyone else have an issue, or know why it might be one?

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the plumbing wasn't done correctly? Or the support - farm sinks require a different base.

I can't think of any other reason...

posted Hide Post
Copper sinks look awesome but I never had them so I don’t have any clue about the practicality.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have copper vessel sinks in the bath.... kinda rustic spa thing. Very easy to care for.
I love copper.. I used it on my island... it's nothing short of a workhorse... Having copper is like having stained concrete floor... they will change each day... so be sure you can live with those things.
Becky

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post