Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't do it!!! Sign In/Join 
posted
My name is Cyndi and I am 46 today. My kids are grown and off making their own life, so it's just me and the dogs. I am a renter and plan to always be. But, with that said, if you have rental property or plan to buy some and fix it up, let me tell you what NT to do from a renters point of view.
Pick a floor and stick with it. 5 different flooring options in a 2 bedroom house is silly and hard to maintain. The house I live in now has tile and wood and....well, it costs me a lot of money to keep my landlords floors nice since I need different products for every room of the house.

NEVER put in a glass top range in the kitchen. OMG!! I spent 3 years in culinary school as a youth to learn to make a living and I love to cook....but not on that! They create a lot of heat, even after you shut it down. It takes forever to cool. It's really hard to keep clean and you can't control the heat.

Don't leave broken things in your homes. I have a whole corner of space consumed by a non-working pellet stove. It hasn't worked since I moved in more than 2 years ago and I could really use the space. I ttell my friends it's a treadmill, since the only thing it gets used for is to collect clutter.

Pick ONE heating/cooling option. Including the aforementioned pellet stove, I have a wood burning fire place, baseboard heaters in the living room and spare room and wall blowers in the other rooms and no heat in the bathroom. And, I end up using my little space heater and the fireplace. The baseboard heaters take up space since one of them is in a tiny bedroom and I can't put a bed against the wall and the other one is on the only wall for the couch in the living room.

And lastly, don't plant stuff in the yard you have an emotional attachment to. Personally, i love keeping my yard nice, but the houses on both sides of me have turned over a couple of times and I have gotten to hear the neighboring landlords cry to me about how their "prized roses" are dying or some such thing. Not a lot of people really "like" yard work or have the time and/or know how for it.

I promise, your tenants will love you if you consider these things and it will make your life easier and happier.

Much love,
The tentant Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post